Zach is a Legal Director in the International Arbitration Group, in the Dispute Resolution department.
He has been involved, including as an advocate, in numerous ad hoc and institutional arbitrations, subject to a variety of governing substantive and procedural laws, including arbitrations governed by the LCIA, ICC, HKIAC, UNCITRAL, CIArb and ICSID Rules. Virtually all of Zach's work has an international element, and he regularly advises on conflict of laws issues. He also has considerable experience of arbitration related litigation before state courts, including applications for injunctive relief, challenges to arbitral awards and matters relating to enforcement.
The focus of Zach's work is dispute resolution in emerging markets, including - but not limited to - disputes arising in the CIS and CEE regions. He also works across a variety of industry sectors, including: banking and finance; international trade; energy; construction; and life sciences.
Zach is recognised as a Future Leader in the 2020 edition of Who's Who Legal: Arbitration and recommended for International Arbitration in Legal 500 UK (2018, 2019 and 2020). He is also named as a Rising Star in the 2017 and 2018 editions of Expert Guides (a directory published by Legal Media Group/Euromoney). Zach was also named in Legal 500's inaugural Arbitration Powerlist, launched in April 2019.
- Acting for the UK subsidiary of an international natural resources company in dispute with its erstwhile joint venture partner, a Brazilian entity in relation to mining rights in a west African state (LCIA arbitration, London seat and related ICSID arbitration).
- Acting for Finnish and US subsidiaries of a major multinational technology company against various subsidiaries of a Japanese electronics company in relation to the pricing of lithium ion batteries (ICC arbitration, London seat).
- Acting for a Dutch incorporated real estate investment fund owned by a major investment bank in dispute with three Polish developers in connection with the exercise of a put option in a shareholders' agreement (ICC arbitration, London seat).
- Acting for a Russian oil and gas company in dispute with a Slovak energy supplier in relation to the supply of gas to the retail market in Slovakia (ICC arbitration, Geneva seat).
- Acting for six west African parties against a US based energy and natural resources private equity firm in connection with the financing and development of a 370MW power project in Ivory Coast (LCIA arbitration, London seat).
- Acting for a French entity in the renewable energy sector in dispute with an Iranian entity arising from a development agreement concerning the construction of 20MW solar power projects in Iran (LCIA arbitration, London seat).
- Acting for the Luxembourg subsidiary of a multi-national real estate investment management group in dispute with a Romanian developer in connection with the construction of residential units in Bucharest (ICC arbitration, Paris seat).
- Acting for a global events organiser in dispute with a German trade body in relation to the sponsorship and promotion of conferences in the aviation sector (ICC arbitration, London seat).
- Acting for a UK AIM listed company in the energy sector in dispute with a central African state and an entity controlled by that state in connection with an exploration and production licensing agreement (ICC arbitration, London seat).
- Acting for an Anglo-Australian individual in dispute with a Hong Kong incorporated company in connection with breach of warranty claims arising from the sale of a security consultancy (HKIAC arbitration, Hong Kong seat).
- Acting for an English arbitrator in dispute with a party seeking injunctive relief from the English court in order to prevent the arbitrator holding a hearing to determine his own jurisdiction (Ad Hoc arbitration, Geneva seat, English Commercial Court and Court of Appeal).
- Acting for a US engineering contractor in connection with a challenge under section 68 of the English Arbitration Act following an arbitration against one of its sub-contractors (Technology and Construction Court, London).
Legal Director, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Managing Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Allen & Overy
Trainee Solicitor, Allen & Overy
College of Law London, Post Graduate Diploma in Law and Legal Practice Course
St Edmund Hall, Oxford, BA (Hons) in Modern History