Zach is a Legal Director in the International Arbitration Group, in the Dispute Resolution department.
He has been involved, including as an advocate, in numerous ad hoc and institutional arbitrations, subject to a variety of governing substantive and procedural laws, including arbitrations governed by the LCIA, ICC, UNCITRAL, CIArb and ICSID Rules. Virtually all of Zach's work has an international element, and he regularly advises on conflict of laws issues. He also has considerable experience of arbitration related litigation before state courts, including applications for injunctive relief, challenges to arbitral awards and matters relating to enforcement.
The focus of Zach's work is dispute resolution in emerging markets, including - but not limited to - disputes arising in the CIS and CEE regions. He also works across a variety of industry sectors, including: banking and finance; international trade; energy; construction; and life sciences.
Zach is recognised in the 2020 edition of Who's Who Legal: Arbitration and recommended for International Arbitration in Legal 500 UK (2017). He is also named as a Rising Star in the 2016 and 2017 editions of Expert Guides (a directory published by Legal Media Group/Euromoney).
- Acting for a Bulgarian commodities company in dispute with an international metals trader in LCIA arbitration proceedings in London.
- Acting for an AIM listed company in ICC arbitration proceedings in London, in dispute with an African state and a related state run energy company.
- Acting for a Dutch subsidiary of a major US investment bank in dispute with a Polish developer in ICC arbitration proceedings in London, including advice on an application to the Polish courts for freezing injunctive relief in support of the arbitration.
- Acting for a Luxembourg incorporated real estate investment fund in dispute with an Italian developer in ICC arbitration proceedings in Paris.
- Acting for an Italian shipbuilder in dispute with a British Virgin Islands incorporated ship owner in ad hoc arbitration proceedings in London.
- Acting for a Dutch bank in dispute with an Indian party in UNCITRAL arbitration proceedings in London, including advice on satellite litigation before the Indian courts.
- Acting for a Russian energy company in dispute with a Slovak company in ICC arbitration proceedings in Paris.
- Acting for Spanish and Chinese commodities companies in dispute with an English company in CIArb arbitration proceedings in London, including advice on a challenge to an award before the English courts.
- Acting for the Russian subsidiary of an Italian utility company in dispute with a Spanish bank in ICC arbitration proceedings in Paris.
- Acting for a French life sciences group in dispute with a Japanese conglomerate in LCIA arbitration proceedings in London.
Legal Director, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Managing Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Allen & Overy
Trainee Solicitor, Allen & Overy
College of Law London, Post Graduate Diploma in Law and Legal Practice Course
St Edmund Hall, Oxford, BA (Hons) in Modern History