Fraud costs the UK economy more than £193 billion a year, according to the latest reports. The increase in cyber activity and the global nature of today's transactions mean the exponential growth of fraud is likely to continue.
If you are a victim of fraud, reacting swiftly and decisively is essential. Decisions made within the first 48 hours of discovery of a fraud will make the difference between success and failure. Freezing assets and seizing evidence is absolutely critical to a successful fraud investigation. A commercial approach to combating fraud is also vital. If money is to be spent, a return on investment must be made.
When faced with allegations of fraud or breach of your corporate duties, your livelihood and reputation are immediately at stake. There can be no compromise in your defence as there will be no compromise in the attack. The opposition often has months to plan their first move. Your immediate response is critical and sound advice must be sought. To do otherwise could severely damage your case and assist any parallel criminal investigation.
Why we are different
We have the largest dedicated group of international injunction specialists in the UK. Wherever possible we seek pre-emptive relief to locate and freeze assets and preserve evidence. Our own International Network of Fraud Specialists, The International Fraud Group, gives us a critical edge when securing piggyback injunctions in other countries. Our anti-fraud and counterfeiting product - Mishcon Tulip (Turning Losses into Profits) - remains the only anti-counterfeiting product devised by a law firm to combat the multi-billion dollar industry of international fraud and counterfeiting.
Our ability to control costs and manage the recovery exercise means we are able to convert the pressure we have created into a swift tangible return on investment for our clients. Our reputation as fraud solicitors for negotiating directly with both fraudsters and their lawyers enables us to resolve complex and sensitive cases in ways that protect our clients from endless litigation and mounting costs.
We have unique relationships with investigators; both private and governmental and ensure that our investigators work side by side with us, the barrister and clients as a team from day 1; preparing the evidence and applying for and executing injunctions.
Our understanding of the most aggressive tactics employed on behalf of claimants in fraud cases also enables us to provide the defendants we act for with comprehensive protection.
- Development of Fraud Prevention Plans
- Tracing stolen assets in the UK and overseas
- Worldwide asset freezing
- Search and seizure orders worldwide
- Regulatory issues
- International enforcement of orders and judgments
- Criminal complaints
- Legality of investigative techniques
- Insolvency and recoveries
- Civil injunctions - including freezing orders, search orders and disclosure orders
- Disciplinary investigation/sanctions by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority
- Investigations by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs, professional regulators and Government bodies
- Money laundering compliance issues
- Restraint and confiscation proceedings
- Successfully defended an individual accused of civil bribery and corruption in a US$2.1 billion, multi-jurisdiction lawsuit that is one of the largest recorded before the Commercial Court. The case involved the establishment of confidentiality clubs to ensure the physical safety of persons in Libya and significant security for costs sums paid into Court by the Claimant.
- A commercial business inheritance case featuring fraudulent deprivation of shares and fraudulent misappropriation of family assets worth around US$ 2 billion. Nine out of 10 of the defendants were based outside the UK.
- Represented Trustees in a heavily contested litigation proceeding against a Russian oligarch and former politician. Orders ranged from a search order to a committal order for contempt of court.
- Brought judgment debtors to the table by obtaining simultaneous freezing orders for assets totalling US$ 52 million in London, Texas, Florida and the Bahamas.
- Utilised connections with the International Fraud Group to trace, seize and recover funds of €1 million stolen from telecoms multinational Orange.
- Successfully defended a client in a substantial fraud claim brought by a Russian energy company. Our actions successfully led to a worldwide freezing order being discharged, and for the claim against our client to be struck out.
- Applied for High Court orders to investigate relevant ISPs linked with sophisticated cybercrime. Subsequent reports were prepared and submitted together with relevant evidence to the Complex Fraud Unit of the Metropolitan Police, who made arrests.
- Acting in relation to high profile litigation involving Turkey's largest gold mining company, Koza Altin. The £67 million litigation concerns a battle for control over the English subsidiary and involves a blend of jurisdiction issues, human rights law, banking regulation, private international law and company law.
- Representing more than 100 individuals, who each invested in film schemes promoted and operated by the Ingenious Group. The aggregate claim is likely to exceed £250 million. We are working closely with Harbour Litigation Funding.
- Acting against a high-profile founder of a failed Brazilian commodities company and one of Forbes' top 10 richest people. This multi-billion dollar securities fraud duped thousands of investors globally made headline news when served in early in 2017.