Our Residential Property Group is one of the largest dedicated residential property practices in London and specialises in prime UK residential property transactions both in London and the surrounding areas.
Our clients include private individuals, banks, corporates and on and offshore investment funds. We work with them to find commercial solutions and make the most of our connections with other important players in residential property such as agents, estates and developers. Regularly our work involves tight deadlines and, accordingly, we are highly responsive, ensuring our clients’ objectives are achieved.
Understanding your brief is key: each situation is different and each of our clients has a different set of priorities. Our close working relationship with our colleagues in Planning, Construction, Dispute Resolution, Immigration and Tax means that we do not merely present a list of options, we decisively recommend the best course of action based on all the information available to us.
Our results speak for themselves: we are a growing practice with a lot of repeat business and clients who are happy to refer friends and colleagues for our services.
- Sales and purchases;
- Landlord and tenant;
- Leasehold enfranchisement;
- Lease extensions;
- Mortgages and refinancing;
- New-build purchases;
- Development structuring;
- Acquisition structuring for development sites;
- Off plan development sales;
- Tenancy agreements.
Our multi-disciplinary team of experts allows us to understand the needs of our clients, many of whom are based offshore. We have particular expertise in creating legal structures for the onward sale of residential units following the development of a site. Our experience includes the restructuring of developments and the development of plots as well as the subsequent sale of the development. We also deal with the sales and purchases of high value residential properties, new leases and lease extensions.
Some examples of recent experience include:
- Acting on behalf of a well-known, reputable property development company on the acquisition of an off market high value property on Eaton Place. The title contained a short lease, bankruptcy forfeiture clause, an unregistered lease and numerous other defects. Our role involved the initial acquisition and financing, preparation and service of the lease extension notices, negotiation of the removal of the defective provisions in the lease and the inclusion of the unregistered lease in the new lease, negotiating the subsequent purchase of some communal areas and agreeing a Licence to Alter.
- Acting on the long term rental of a house in Chelsea, where the annual passing rent exceeded £1,000,000 per annum. Our role involved drafting and negotiating a bespoke tenancy agreement, to take into account the many unique features of the property and the need to safeguard these.
- Acting on the refinancing of a portfolio of ten high value properties on behalf of an offshore bank, with a loan value of £29,000,000. The properties were a mixture of tenure and each owned by an offshore vehicle. As a result of this, our role involved liaising with agents, law firms and third parties in various jurisdictions and time zones. We managed to conclude the transaction within a week of receiving the facility letter from the bank.
- Acting on behalf of a high profile client in the purchase of a £39m property in Mayfair via a corporate share purchase. The complex matter required us to advise on planning and listed building matters, potential rights to light injury to adjoining premises and investigation into an "absent" Estate Management Scheme.
- Acting on behalf of a State in the purchase of a £45,000,000 listed property, which was to be developed into apartments. This was a time sensitive complex SPV purchase, involving multiple jurisdictions and long lease negotiations.