Our Residential Property Group is one of the largest dedicated residential property practices in London. We specialise in prime UK residential property transactions both in London and the surrounding areas.
Our clients include private individuals, banks, corporates and investment funds. We work with important players in residential property such as agents, private estates and developers to find commercial solutions for our clients. Regularly our work involves tight deadlines and complicated structures - we are highly responsive, ensuring our clients’ objectives are achieved.
Understanding your brief is key: each situation is different and each of our clients has a different set of priorities. Our close working relationship with our colleagues in Planning, Construction, Dispute Resolution, Immigration and Tax means that we do not merely present a list of options, we decisively recommend the best course of action based on all the information available to us.
Our results speak for themselves: we are known as a leading residential practice with repeat business from clients and intermediaries. Our head of department is acknowledged as one of the top six residential property lawyers in the UK by Spears and several other members of the team are recognised as leading practitioners.
- Sales and purchases;
- Landlord and tenant;
- Leasehold enfranchisement;
- Lease extensions;
- Mortgages and refinancing;
- New-build purchases;
- Development structuring;
- Acquisition structuring for development sites;
- Off plan development sales;
- Acting on behalf of a well-known, reputable property development company on the acquisition of an off market high value property on Eaton Place. The title contained a short lease, bankruptcy forfeiture clause, an unregistered lease and numerous other defects. Our role involved the initial acquisition and financing, preparation and service of the lease extension notices, negotiation of the removal of the defective provisions in the lease and the inclusion of the unregistered lease in the new lease, negotiating the subsequent purchase of some communal areas and agreeing a Licence to Alter.
- Acting on the long term rental of a house in Chelsea, where the annual passing rent exceeded £1,000,000 per annum. Our role involved drafting and negotiating a bespoke tenancy agreement, to take into account the many unique features of the listed property and the need to safeguard these.
- Acting on the refinancing of a portfolio of ten high value properties on behalf of an offshore bank, with a loan value of £29,000,000. The properties were a mixture of tenure and each owned by an offshore vehicle. As a result of this, our role involved liaising with agents, law firms and third parties in various jurisdictions and time zones. We managed to conclude the transaction within a week of receiving the facility letter from the bank.
- Acting on behalf of a high profile client in the purchase of a £39m property in Mayfair via a corporate share purchase. The complex matter required us to advise on planning and listed building matters, potential rights to light injury to adjoining premises and investigation into an "absent" Estate Management Scheme.
- Acting on behalf of a State in the purchase of a £45,000,000 listed property, which was to be developed into apartments. This was a time sensitive complex SPV purchase, involving multiple jurisdictions and long lease negotiations.