Our commercial lawyers are well versed in the challenges of growing a business and the nuances of developing new operations in different regions. We help our clients to expand their reach and to maximise the value of their intellectual property through domestic and international opportunities.
We offer the full range of services: from helping a business to decide upon the most appropriate structure for their international growth, and ensuring their brands and other rights are protected, through to drafting and negotiating contracts including franchising, licensing, agency and distribution agreements as well as sponsorship and merchandising agreements.
We help to manage working relationships once they have been established and, where disputes arise, our litigators endeavour to resolve the issues as quickly and painlessly as possible.
Our large multi-national clients appreciate our experience and knowledge of the legal and commercial landscape in which franchises operate outside the UK. Our smaller clients know that we will hold their hands through the complexities of the process and that we can fully prepare them for a new phase of their business development.
We work across a broad spectrum of sectors and in a wide range of countries including across Europe, Asia, the Middle East and Africa.
- Strategic advice on international expansion
- Structuring of international arrangements
- Advising on and drafting franchising and licensing agreements
- Advising on and drafting distribution, supply and agency agreements
- Drafting supporting contracts such as confidentiality agreements, commitment agreements, heads of terms, disclosure documents and guarantees
- Brand clearance searches to identify any risks when launching in target markets
- Advising on appropriate brand protection for target markets
- Dispute resolution
- Advising Victoria's Secret on its European franchising arrangements
- Representing Tesco on the international expansion of its fashion and accessory brand into a number of territories across the world
- Advising a leading FTSE 100 retailer on its international franchising arrangements
- Advising a well-known restaurant chain on its multi-territory franchising arrangements for the Middle East
- Acting for a multinational conglomerate on its acquisition of IP rights relating to a health and fitness business in 13 countries. This involved terminating the current franchise arrangement, and negotiating the assignment and licensing of key IP rights and transitional arrangements to ensure the smooth operation of over 60 clubs
- Advising a well-known high street clothing retailer on the restructuring of its franchising arrangements in certain territories, a sports goods retailer on its international franchising arrangements in Asia and South America and an award-winning shoe retailer on its expansion into Russia and Japan
- Acting for Harvey Nichols in a multi-million dollar arbitration claim brought against the Indonesian franchisee
- Advising a Burger King multiple franchisee in a breach of contract claim brought against it by Burger King