The eSports movement is today a world away from its origins among university campus gamers in the 1970s. eSports is big business.
Our focus on this rapidly developing sector is driven by our market-leading Betting & Gaming and Sports groups. Our experience in areas such as regulatory governance, IP, licensing & brand protection, team moves and reputation protection is directly applicable to the needs of individuals and teams involved in eSports.
We recognise that as the eSports category matures and the size of deals increases, sophisticated legal advice will become as essential for success in the online world as it is for traditional sports.
Betting & Gaming
- Mishcon de Reya's Betting & Gaming team advise games developers, publishers and platforms on the legal and regulatory considerations surrounding competitive gaming, in particular with regard to the critical intersection between gaming and regulated gambling. We advise on issues relating to virtual currency, skill gaming, social games, skins betting and the licensing and regulation of eSports betting sites. We are acknowledged leaders in our field and clients include a number of the biggest names in the eSports and games industries.
- Our multi-disciplinary Sports Group comprises a dedicated team of contentious and non-contentious lawyers who are passionate about sport. The Group is supported by experts across the firm with significant sports experience in areas such as immigration, employment, brand protection, reputation management, construction and tax. We act for clients from around the world and many of our lawyers are multi-lingual.
- Restrictive covenants are vital to protect a business against competition by former employees. However, they are notoriously difficult to draft and enforce. Should action be necessary against a departing employee, employers must act both quickly and strategically to achieve the desired result. We have the expertise necessary to draft and advise on all kinds of restrictive covenants, and have significant experience in bringing and defending unfair competition actions on behalf of both employers and employees, using specialist injunctive proceedings where necessary. Read more.
- The lawyers in our Commercial group handle both contentious and non-contentious work. This means that we are able to draw on commercial and litigation expertise when drafting contracts. We are very conscious of our clients' needs to weigh the risks of doing business with returns on their investments. Read more.
- The Immigration group provides advice to many international businesses and financial organisations. We regularly collaborate with our in-house Employment team to ensure our advice is as well-rounded and informed as possible. Working with international tax advisors and private bankers, we make it possible for clients to take full advantage of the UK’s favourable taxation regime.
- We help our clients create, commercialise and protect their intellectual property, brand and reputation. We ensure that you are protected against a breach, but also prepared for one, and can react immediately should one occur. We also have extensive experience in offering on-going brand management strategies and tactics. Read more.
- We offer the full range of services: from helping businesses to decide upon the most appropriate structure for their growth, ensuring their brands and other rights are protected, to drafting and negotiating contracts (including franchising, licensing, agency and distribution agreements and beyond) to helping to manage the relationships once established. Read more.
- We work hard to ensure we understand our clients' businesses and work with them to design and implement remuneration and employee incentive plans that are right for them. We identify the financial metrics against which an incentives plan should be measured, then structure the incentive strategically to drive the behaviours that the employer wants to achieve, designing arrangements that are simple, focused and effective. We understand the regulatory landscape and have a firm grasp of the ever-evolving EU and UK remuneration requirements.
- We advise on a number of sensitive issues related to private individuals and businesses including: being contacted, harassed or defamed by the press, being attacked in online forums or on social media, being blackmailed with the threat of releasing private information or images. As litigators, we are both robust and resolute, but we do not take action as a first resort. Read more.
- We advise our clients on how best to achieve their strategic objectives whilst complying with this evolving regulatory regime. We can highlight gaps in compliance and explain how to implement the policies and procedures needed, as well as dealing with any incidents that may occur. Our team comprises data protection experts as well as non-lawyer cyber security specialists, allowing us to give the full spectrum of advice. Read more.
- Mishcon de Reya provides independent oversight and assurance of your current cyber maturity, reviewing the governance and management of cyber risk, the technical and procedural controls used to protect data and systems as well as your readiness to respond to an incident. We provide a benchmark of your maturity against your peers and those who face the same issues you do. Read more.