Stephen is Chair of the Real Estate department with over 20 years' experience. His expertise lies in commercial real estate work including high value portfolio acquisitions and disposals, development work, joint ventures and structuring.
He acts for a broad range of UK and overseas clients including Delancey, Capital & Counties Properties PLC (Capco), Almacantar and The London Business School. His transactions often lead to his involvement with a cross-departmental team providing advice on associated tax, finance and corporate issues.
Recent matters include advising Delancey, Qatari Diar, APG and Oxford Properties on the purchase and long-term management of East Village in east London. The Village, adjacent to the Olympic Park, currently has over 2,800 homes (housing 6,000 people) with around 2,000 more homes planned. Stephen also acts for Capital & Counties Properties PLC in relation to its Covent Garden portfolio.
Stephen is recommended as a Leader in his field in Chambers & Partners 2021 and as a Leading Individual in Legal 500 2021. Chambers notes Stephen as "a very approachable, no-nonsense and practical lawyer" who "gets to the point and just focuses on the issues at hand".
- Acting for Delancey, Qatari Diar, APG and Oxford Properties on the purchase and long-term management of the East Village, Stratford. The Village, which lies adjacent to the Olympic Park in Stratford, East London, currently has over 2,800 homes (housing 6,000 people) with around 2,000 more homes planned.
- Representing Capital & Counties Properties PLC in relation to its Covent Garden portfolio.
- Advising Almacantar on the Sale of Grade II listed CAA House and 1 Kemble Street, two inter-connected office buildings covering almost 300,000 sq ft, to Seaforth Land for £165 million, and on the sale of 125 Shaftesbury Avenue to a South Korean purchaser for circa £270 million.
- Acting for Capital & Counties Properties PLC on the sale of the Empress State Building to The Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime for £250 million.
- Acting for the joint venture between Delancey’s DV4 client fund and the LRC Group on the sale of the iconic Royal Mint Court site to the People’s Republic of China.
Partner, Chair of Real Estate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Partner, SJ Berwin LLP
Qualified, CMS Cameron McKenna