Our team of extradition experts specialises in dealing with the risks facing high net worth individuals. In particular, much of our practice is based on defending politically motivated extradition requests and responding to wider campaigns of persecution. Such campaigns can often also involve attempts to engender psychological, financial or reputational pressure on requested persons and their families.
The team has a sophisticated understanding of the meaning of political persecution. We recognise that state-sponsored corporate raiding is often the catalyst for extradition requests and that governmental change can lead to individuals falling out of favour in a requesting state through no fault of their own.
We work with our clients to ensure that they have a comprehensive strategy in place prior to an extradition request being made, and to prepare a robust defence once the request does arrive. We have experience of removing Interpol Red Flag notices and work closely with our colleagues in the Immigration Group to deploy political asylum claims where appropriate.
We are experienced in defending extradition claims made by countries that fall under the European Arrest Warrant and Category 2 states that have Extradition Treaties in place with the UK. Our particular expertise in harnessing European human rights law enables us to block attempts to extradite clients to many jurisdictions, including the Middle East, Africa, China, Russia and the CIS region. We can utilise our international network of trusted political experts and local lawyers to assist us where necessary. Through commercial litigation, we are also able to aggressively pursue the resolution of matters to re-characterise the fabricated criminal charges and deal with the real cause of the dispute.
Our extradition team is led by Ben Brandon and consists of lawyers from our Litigation, Immigration and Reputation Protection departments.
- Asset protection and recovery
- Defending extradition requests on the basis of political persecution or otherwise
- Defending charges for breaching sanctions, corruption or cartels
- Drawing on our immigration expertise so that we can simultaneously advise on both asylum and extradition matters
- Providing both proactive and reactive reputation protection advice. Where necessary services such as Mishcon Repute can help to build, monitor and protect reputations
- Strategic advice on dealing with Interpol red flag notices
- Working with the police to ensure extradition requests are managed as smoothly as possible, avoiding public arrest and/or publicity