A flexible, opportunistic approach to investing across the capital structure, investors look for a "catalyst" or "event" that will allow them to realise value in a target.
There is no typical transaction in this investment space – it may involve a distressed situation, corporate reorganisation/transformation or legal/regulatory action, amongst others.
However, we know that the success of an event driven strategy ultimately relies on the intensive efforts of the investor and its advisors in terms of analysing the "catalyst" and/or driving the "value-unlocking event". We understand that these complex transactions require our lawyers to think differently – to create bespoke result-driven legal services tailored to the different risk/reward profile of these transactions as compared to traditional deals.
Our lawyers have decades of experience working with the most prominent event driven/special situations funds from their early days, as an integral part of their "value-unlocking efforts". As a result of these long-standing relationships, our lawyers have been a part of the evolution of their strategies around the world and have acquired an unparalleled depth of specialism. On each transaction, our lawyers will:
- apply legal and regulatory frameworks to a "situational event" in a tactical and technical manner;
- combine legal and commercial strategies to drive results;
- analyse all angles by conducting a vigorous assessment of all eventualities, so that our clients can make informed decisions at every step of the process;
- find innovative structures and creative ideas which help maximise upside returns; and
- formulate effective solutions to mitigate downside risks.
Ultimately, our lawyers, through various teams including corporate, tax, litigation, banking and restructuring, work strategically and tirelessly with clients to successfully create or unlock value in a wide range of opportunities, across different industries and sectors.