Sophie is a Managing Associate in the Employment department.
She has significant experience advising both employers and employees on contentious and non-contentious matters and advises on all areas of employment law including terminations, redundancies, settlement agreements, unfair dismissal, discrimination, whistleblowing and contractual disputes. She advises clients in relation to breaches of confidence and restrictive covenants disputes. She has built up particular expertise in complex, high-value High Court and Employment Tribunal litigation. Sophie also advises her corporate clients on day-to-day employment matters and on the employment aspects of corporate transactions.
Sophie acts for clients across multiple business sectors including financial services, private equity, insurance, technology, legal, fashion and charity/social enterprise.
Sophie is a member of the Employment Lawyers Association and a registered employment law adviser at the Mary Ward Legal Centre. In 2014, Sophie co-founded and acts as Vice Chair of Women in Law London (WILL), an active network with approximately 1,800 members. She is also a Champion for the First Hundred Years Project, supported by the Law Society and the Bar Council, charting the journey of women in law since 1919.
- Acted for a major law firm defending a complex sex, age and disability discrimination and whistleblowing claim in the Employment Tribunal.
- Acted for a senior executive defending a high-value restrictive covenant/team move case in the High Court, including injunction proceedings.
- Acted for a brokerage firm in successfully defending an Employment Tribunal claim, securing the rare result of a significant adverse costs award against the Claimant.
- Achieved valuable settlement for a broker client pursuing sex discrimination and sexual harassment claims against her former employer.
- Regular instructions to act on behalf of senior employees to negotiate exit terms and settlement agreements.
- Acted for employees in the financial sector facing investigations into allegations of misconduct and disciplinary action, including matters involving the FCA.
- Advised a number of senior women on sex, pregnancy and maternity discrimination claims.
- Acted pro bono for Impossible (a social business established by model and entrepreneur Lily Cole), putting in place employment documents to meet its needs as a start-up and providing ongoing employment law advice.
Managing Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Mishcon de Reya
Solicitor, Mishcon de Reya
Solicitor, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP
Trainee, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP
LPC, BBP Professional Education
LLB, University of Sheffield