Mohammed is a senior QC in the Banking and Finance group and specialises in Commercial Litigation dealing with complex multi-jurisdictional cases frequently involving fraud, particularly within the banking and financial services sectors.
Mohammed was called to the Bar in 1985 and was made Queen's Counsel in 2006. During more than 32 years of continuous practice he has advised clients from the UK, United Arab Emirates, KSA, India, Pakistan and other regions on a wide range of matters.
As former Standing Counsel for the Department of Trade and Industry, Mohammed has particular expertise in matters involving company and insolvency law, directors’ duties, directors’ disqualification and personal insolvency; all of which often overlap into civil and criminal investigations. His experience encapsulates many aspects of SFO, FCA and other financial regulatory compliance and he has frequently led and managed teams of lawyers, accountants, forensic experts and other professionals as part of an investigatory team. The broad range of experience in several jurisdictions means that he is in frequently retained to manage and advise on legal issues of the most sensitive nature. He has an extremely good understanding of the Middle East and a network to complement it. Clients enjoy the clarity, approachability and calmness with which he deals with complex issues. Excellent advocacy skills both inside and outside the court room. A superb strategist and tactician.
He is listed by Legal 500 as a leading QC in the field of fraud.
Banking and Financial Regulation:
- Providing ongoing advice to C-Suite leaders of various banks in Pakistan, UAE, Russia and elsewhere on matters including: investigations by the FCA and Bank of England, acquisitions and money laundering regulations
- Successfully representing a Middle East entity in a dispute with a Global Bank involving £83m;
- Successfully representing a Dubai based business during the collapse of an Investment Fund;
- Advising a Middle East businessman in a multi-jurisdictional dispute involving $250m;
- Advising a Middle Eastern logistics entity over a dispute involving oil sales;
- Advising a Middle Eastern Conglomerate and State entity on launching Fintech hubs in the Gulf.
- All aspects of civil fraud; previous cases have included issues relating to property development companies, Special Purpose Vehicles (SPVs) and tax and banking fraud.
- Successfully settled a multi-million dollar dispute involving fraud, bribery and compliance failures.
- Appearing before the UK First Tier Tax Tribunals involving claims of between £5m-£15m. Advising on European Union inter-community tax law and VAT/Customs and Excise Duties related issues. These cases are highly complex involving issues of directors' duties, commercial loan agreements with an international dimension, company and personal insolvency; telecommunications industry; and forensic computer experts
- Currently involved in a number of multi-jurisdictional disputes across the finance and banking sectors.
- As Standing Counsel to the Department of Trade and Industry his role included advisory and advocacy work in the High Court and Criminal Courts on all aspects of company law, Directors’ Duties and Disqualification Act; insolvency (personal and corporate); insider share dealing; company fraud (civil and criminal), company structures and aspects of government policy in these areas.
- Chairman of the Code Compliance Panel (CCP) which is responsible for the Phone Standards Authority's adjudicatory function. PSA regulates premium rate phone paid services in the United Kingdom. The work is of a very complex nature involving the telecoms industry in the UK and within the EU. It involves the consideration of regulatory frameworks within EMEA/EMIR.
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Consultant, Mishcon de Reya
Deemster (Part-time Judge of the High Court Isle of Man)
Recorder of the Crown Court
Chairman of the Code of Compliance Panel for the Phone Standards Authority
Bencher of the Hon Society of the Middle Temple
Formerly Serious Fraud Office, panel of Queen’s Counsel
Formerly Standing Counsel to the Dept. for Business, Innovation and Skills (former DTI)
Mbr FSLA, BBA