Gavin is a Dispute Resolution Partner in our Singapore office. He specialises in International Arbitration, cross-border litigation and corporate crime & investigations. Gavin also has experience in commercial contracts, M&A and joint ventures.
He has acted as counsel in arbitrations conducted under ICC, SIAC, TAI, LCIA, SCC, TOMAC and pure ad hoc arbitration rules, with arbitral seats across Asia and Europe.
His sector focuses include energy and infrastructure, telecommunications and technology, and international trade.
Gavin sits as an arbitrator and is a panel member for SIAC, the Asian International Arbitration Centre, the Thai Arbitration Institute, THAC, the Japan Commercial Arbitration Association and the Pacific International Arbitration Centre.
Gavin is also a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, a member of the ICC Singapore Arbitration Group and a former Chairman of the ICC Thailand Arbitration Commission.
- An Indonesian oil and gas operator defending a SIAC arbitration claim for US$218 million arising out of a Joint Operating Agreement for an oil and gas development block in Sumatra.
- A Japanese trading company defending an ICC arbitration claim brought against it by its African JV party in connection with the distribution of Japanese manufacturer automobiles.
- A Thai oil and gas exploration company in Thai Arbitration Institute proceedings against a transport service provider relating to alleged breaches of a US$315 million service agreement.
- A Japanese trading company in London ad hoc arbitrations and TOMAC arbitrations valued over US$50 million, arising out of a series of commercial bulk carrier shipbuilding contracts, including (a) issues of legal set-off under English and Japanese law and (b) the seaworthiness of the vessels.
- A Japanese technology contractor in ICC arbitration claims/counterclaims of over US$150 million arising out of a contract for the construction and delivery of a submarine telecoms cable from India to France.
- A Japanese telecoms company bringing an ICC arbitration claim for US$50 million in liquidated damages arising out of the delivery into geostationary orbit of a defective telecommunications satellite.
- A Telco infrastructure company overseeing claims against a South African telco provider, including to delay claims and other technical issues relating to the phased roll out of network towers.
- A United Arab Emirates coal trading company as counsel in SIAC arbitration arising out of contracts for the sale, purchase and shipment of coal from Indonesia to India.
- A Singaporean aerospace contractor bringing a US$2 million claim in SIAC arbitration arising out of an aircraft engine maintenance and repair order (MRO) agreement.
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Partner (Singapore), Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner
Partner (Singapore / Bangkok), Herbert Smith Freehills
Partner (Tokyo), Herbert Smith Freehills
Senior Associate (Tokyo), Herbert Smith
Secondee (Tokyo), Marubeni Corporation
Associate (London), Herbert Smith
Trainee Solicitor (London), Herbert Smith
University of Nottingham, LLB