Daniel is a Partner in the Corporate department and leads the Funds and Financial Services team. He has significant experience helping our private equity and real estate clients on the entire fundraising process, including marketing their funds to investors, setting market-standard commercial terms of the fund, agreeing documents with investors and closing the fund.
Daniel assists institutional and boutique fund managers across private equity and real estate including specialist strategies across growth capital, venture capital, credit and those raising buy-and-build platforms. Daniel acts for managers whether they are raising a discretionary fund, spinning out of an existing institution or raising a series of co-investment funds. He also assists institutions and Mishcon family office clients on their fund investment and co-investment programmes.
Chambers and Partners recognise Daniel's "deep expertise in the structuring of a variety of funds, including fund of funds, venture capital and debt vehicles" describing him as "similarly well versed in the tax and regulatory aspects of asset management". Daniel has authored chapters in The Guide to Responsible Investment (PEI: Private Equity International) and Understanding Private Debt in Europe (PEI: Private Debt Investor).
- Advising AEW on the launch of €290m investment platform with Allianz Real Estate.
- Advising a private equity team on their spin out and establishment of a €120m private equity fund backed by a fund of funds.
- Advising on the acquisition of UK private equity real estate manager and establishing a new £350m real estate investment fund.
- Advising a private equity firm based in the UK and US on a series of co-investment funds.
- Advising a new manager on the structuring and first closing of its £65m growth capital fund.
- Advising on closing a £250m real estate fund, involving structuring a multi-tier Jersey fund structure.
- Advising NCL Technology Ventures, a EuVECA manager, on the structuring and first closing of its second venture capital fund targeting £50m focused on medical technologies and advanced therapeutics.
- Advising Woodford Investment Management on its investment into the management company of Accelerated Digital Ventures (ADV), and its cornerstone investment into the fund alongside L&G Capital and British Business Bank.
- Advised Woodford Investment Management on its investment into the £125 Dementia Discovery Fund managed by SV Life Sciences including negotiating the terms of a bespoke parallel fund vehicle. (2017)
- Advising a fund of funds investor on its investment programme, involving committing as a cornerstone investor into a number of private equity funds across Europe.
- Advising a real estate fund manager on structuring options from a tax, regulatory and operational perspective including as a permanent capital vehicle, under the UK REIT regime and as a fund listed on TISE.
- Advising a private equity real estate manager on a hybrid private equity and evergreen carried interest structure.
- Advising a UK pension fund on its cornerstone investment into a UK real estate fund.
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Partner, Pinsent Masons LLP
Senior Associate, SJ Berwin LLP
Associate, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP
Trainee, Berwin Leighton Paisner
University of Leeds, BA Economics