Oliver is a Consultant in the Dispute Resolution department. He works across the Commercial Litigation, Finance & Banking and White Collar Crime & Investigations practices.
Oliver appeared before the Lord Chief Justice on a landmark case within 12 months of full qualification. Since then, he has developed a boutique high profile practice specialising in complex, high value commercial disputes and regulatory work focused on the financial services sector. A significant proportion of the work has an international dimension.
Oliver operates a ‘dual capacity’ practice at the English Bar in private independent practice and as a consultant at Mishcon de Reya.
Oliver is a sitting member of the Bar Council's Direct Access Panel, which provides guidance around issues concerning direct access to the Bar of England & Wales.
- Advising and representing son of former president of Latin American sovereign state in relation to international bribery and corruption investigation spanning various South American states and linked restraining orders in England.
- Advising and representing currency trader in relation to bank notes deposited with The Bank of England and seized by the City of London Police.
- Advising and representing private shareholder in relation to £7 million claim under section 90A of Financial Services & Markets Act 2000 against listed company (against Herbert Smith Freehills).
- Advising and representing equities & bonds brokerage based in the City of London in response to FCA investigation and into structured equities transactions involving dividend withholding tax reclaims against various European tax agencies. The estimated total loss to the respective exchequers is thought to be approximately €10 billion.
- Advising the government of a foreign nation state on the merits of a complaint to the BBC Executive Editorial Unit and/or appealing to the BBC Trust Editorial Standards Committee in relation to alleged inaccuracies and misconduct concerning a documentary covering a genocidal war.
- Advising and representing a corporate client and private shareholder in relation to a prospective claim for civil fraud concerning investments in Indonesian and Mexican commodities trades.
- Advising and representing Belgian private client on attempted enforcement by Irish National Asset Management Agency (NAMA) of €25m personal guarantee.