Matt is an Associate in the Immigration group, in Mishcon de Reya's Private Department.
Matt's practice, which takes an inter-disciplinary approach, primarily focuses on complex asylum claims involving political persecution and corporate raiding. He has experience of making asylum claims whilst simultaneously defending extradition claims. He is also able to deploy different legal tools to assist the client such as making and defending civil proceedings based on allegations of fraud, and reputation management all linked to the underlying corporate raiding attempt. The cases he has worked on range across a number of jurisdictions. In addition Matt has experience of human right-based judicial review applications and non-contentious advisory reputation work. Matt is also well versed in Tier 1 (Investor and Entrepreneur) visa applications.
- Obtaining Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK for an HNW client and his family despite his excess absences.
- Using a client's philanthropic activities as the basis of an exceptional application for British citizenship.
- Submitting an HNW individual's application for asylum in the UK on the basis of political persecution in Russia.
- Defending an extradition request on the basis of the requesting authority's lack of compliance with the European Convention on Human Rights.
- Ensuring the removal of a client's defamatory profile on a well-known compliance search engine which was preventing the opening of a UK bank account.
- Assisting with the preparation of a media campaign to secure the release of a high-profile political prisoner.
- Reputation protection in the context of an application for economic citizenship of a foreign jurisdiction.
- Preparing an application for a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa on the basis of the establishment of a political risk consultancy.
Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Solicitor, Mishcon de Reya
Trainee, Mishcon de Reya
University of Sussex, International Relations (BA)