Matt is a litigator in Mishcon's Private department advising UK and international individuals. Matt regularly advises clients on complex International Protection claims involving political persecution and corporate raiding as well as Public Law and Human Rights based applications.
In particular, Matt advises clients in relation to asylum claims, defending extradition requests, judicial review claims, human rights, reputation protection, removals cases and civil litigation. Matt's breadth of experience allows him to adopt an inter-disciplinary approach and ensures that he is well-placed to develop creative and strategic solutions to assist and protect clients.
Matt has acted for high profile individuals and has been at the forefront of significant cases in the asylum field. He has experience of making asylum claims whilst simultaneously defending extradition requests. He is also able to deploy different legal tools to assist the client such as making and defending civil proceedings based on allegations of fraud and reputation protection all linked to the underlying corporate raiding attempt. The cases he has worked on range across a number of jurisdictions. Matt's experience has extended to challenging Interpol red flag notices and reputational audits on behalf of private individuals and corporate entities as well as advising on claims against the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and the Home Office on the basis of negligence, implied contractual terms and misfeasance in public office.
In addition Matt has a breadth of experience of human right-based judicial review applications in the context of Immigration with broad advisory and court experience in complex proceedings of this nature.
Matt also works closely with the non-contentious Immigration team with regard to Tier 1 (Investor) and (Entrepreneur) visas, British citizenship and Indefinite Leave to Remain applications, often with a discretionary element and for applications interlinking with on-going litigation.
Matt has been part of the Human Rights offering in Mishcon's Immigration group which was recognised as Band 1 in the Legal 500 2018 publication where he received personal recognition.
- Obtaining Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK for an HNW client and his family despite his excess absences.
- Using a client's philanthropic activities as the basis of an exceptional application for British citizenship.
- Submitting an HNW individual's application for asylum in the UK on the basis of political persecution in Russia.
- Defending an extradition request on the basis of the requesting authority's lack of compliance with the European Convention on Human Rights.
- Ensuring the removal of a client's defamatory profile on a well-known compliance search engine which was preventing the opening of a UK bank account.
- Assisting with the preparation of a media campaign to secure the release of a high-profile political prisoner.
- Reputation protection in the context of an application for economic citizenship of a foreign jurisdiction.
- Preparing an application for a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa on the basis of the establishment of a political risk consultancy.
Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Solicitor, Mishcon de Reya
Trainee, Mishcon de Reya
University of Sussex, International Relations (BA)