The private equity arena is a complex and competitive one. Whilst institutional players approach private equity deals as a matter of routine, management teams stepping into this world for the first time face a demanding and unique set of challenges. It is unlikely, unless members of the team have been involved in corporate acquisitions or disposals previously, that they will feel at ease with the paperwork, meetings, questions and myriad of lawyers, investors and bankers. Despite the complexities, the right advisers and investors can help management through the process, providing guidance when issues arise and when decisions have to be made.
Our Private Equity group has established itself as a market leading management advisory practice, expertly guiding teams through the structuring and negotiation of even the most complex transactions. For most, private equity deals are an exceptional event in their business and personal lives. It is an exciting time but also a challenging one, as the decisions taken by management may not only have a significant financial impact but may also affect their future role within the company and the company's future success.
At Mishcon de Reya, our focus remains on the individuals behind the deal. We understand that the line between business and personal can often blur and that each member of the team will have their own hopes, fears and ambitions as the deal moves forward. By understanding the personal aspirations and concerns of management teams, we are able to help navigate every transaction to their advantage. We understand the pressures of making the jump from employee to owner-manager and the concerns that this may raise. We are aware that throughout the deal there is also a business to run for the existing shareholders or within another enterprise.
The numerous challenges involved in successfully concluding a private equity deal heightens the need to seek out specialist advice. Whether management teams are facing an approach or whether they are making one, our specialists – including not only our core transactional team, but also our market leading employment, tax and benefits groups - have a wealth of experience to draw on. Our management advisory specialists will join the planning and negotiating process from the outset, simplifying transaction complexities and anticipating potential issues. Because we understand the commercial issues that underpin private equity activity, we can help teams avoid potential roadblocks, ensuring a practical and commercial approach to negotiations.
Our outstanding track record in advising management, combined with our considerable experience of working with institutions and portfolio companies, enables us to guard and advance our clients' interests and ensure the best possible outcome for them, both as individuals and as a management team.
- Advising the management of Direct Ferries on the buyout backed by LivingBridge.
- Advising the reinvesting senior management team, led by CEO Dean Westmoreland, on the management buy-out of Omar Group Limited backed by Rutland Partners.
- Advising the management team on the sale of Simply Business to Aquiline Capital partners and the subsequent sale to The Travelers Companies Inc.
- Advising the management team of Web Services Integration Limited on the buyout of the business backed by SVG Capital plc.
- Advising the sellers on the secondary buyout of UK Power Reserve (Holdings) Limited.
- Acting for the management team of Agencyport Software Europe Limited on the disposal by Thomas H. Lee to Xchanging plc.
- Acting for Chamonix Private Equity and management as both sellers and as reinvesting management on the secondary buy out of Mettis Aerospace backed by Stirling Square Capital Partners.
- Advised the founder-managers of Ambassador Theatre Group, backed by Providence Equity Partners and Exponent Private Equity on the restructuring of the management function and the associated launch of Trafalgar Entertainment Group.
- Advising on the secondary buy-out of Search Consultancy by H2 Equity Partners.