Intelligent and robust commercial agreements underpin well run and profitable businesses. In this competitive economic climate, having the right commercial agreements - such as terms and conditions, distribution contracts and agency contracts - in place is imperative. Good commercial agreements encourage performance and discourage disputes; if a dispute is inevitable then it is important for clients to feel confident that the agreement protects their position. The balance has to be struck between speed of turnaround and the necessity to balance the risk and the benefit of the matter at hand.
The lawyers in our Commercial group handle contentious and non-contentious work. This means that we are able to draw on commercial and litigation expertise when drafting contracts. We are very conscious of our clients’ needs to weigh the risks of doing business with returns on their investments.
Above all, we believe that the contracts that we create must be detailed enough to ensure they are secure, and pragmatic enough to ensure they are workable from a day-to-day business perspective.
We advise on a range of commercial agreements, from tax-driven international commercial arrangements, complex multi-party collaboration and licensing agreements for pharma clients, to the more common but nonetheless critical terms and conditions, online contracts, sponsorship, agency and distribution agreements. Key areas include:
- Real estate
- Financial services
- Advising a global outsourcing operation on a whole host of commercial issues including consumer credit issues and arrangements relating to the outsourcing of credit report processing services.
- Advising United Phosphorous (Agroscience) in respect of its technology licence from AksoNobel to build a chemical plant in India.
- Advising on the MaRussia Virgin Racing sponsorship agreement with Virgin; and acting on its behalf in a dispute with Full Tilt Poker.
- Advising Universal Engineering on its new product co-development and marketing agreements.
- Drafting a sponsorship agreement between Renault F1 and TW Steel. Key issues included collaboration provisions on co-branded merchandise.
- Drafting and advising on endorsement deals with Nike and Adidas for Premier League players and managers.
- Advising Tottenham Hotspur on its multi-million pound shirt sponsorship with AIA, and on the maintenance, repair and landscaping arrangements for its training facilities.
- Advising Foxtons on its law firm panel contract arrangements.
- Advising Hilton Group in the UK on terms and conditions, arbitration matters, television supply and marketing arrangements.