Ed is a Partner in the Commercial Real Estate department, with specialist expertise in high value investment sales and acquisitions across all sectors and commercial and residential-led development projects, including office, student and build-to-rent schemes. In addition, Ed is highly experienced in landlord and tenant matters, particularly on significant pre-let agreements.
Ed acts for a broad spectrum of clients ranging from quoted corporates and UK and overseas property companies to developers, banks and private investors. His clients include Derwent London PLC, Endurance Land LLP, Nan Fung Group, O&H Properties, GWM Capital, NP Investment Management, Watkin Jones PLC (one of the UK’s leading developers and managers in the build-to-rent and student sectors) and specialist student developer Fusion Students.
His recent highlights include advising Derwent London on the pre-letting of the Brunel Building (one of the last major sites to be developed in Paddington Basin) to Sony Pictures Entertainment, Premier League, Hellman & Friedman and a number of other tenants. Ed also acted for Watkin Jones PLC on the proposed build-to-rent development of significant scale at the Titanic Quarter, Belfast, and advised Hong Kong based investor Nan Fung Group and developer Endurance Land on two pre-lets totalling 114,000 sq ft within The Bailey in the City of London. He recently advised student accommodation provider Fusion Students on its £1.5 billion joint venture with US investor Cain International, on the circa £315 million sale of their 'Kinetic portfolio', and on the new £210 million student accommodation site at Brent Cross Town, forming part of Related Argent's regeneration scheme in North West London.
- Advising Derwent London PLC in relation to the acquisition, disposal, development and letting of a number of properties within their London portfolio including the pre-letting of the Brunel Building (one of the last major sites to be developed in Paddington Basin) to Sony Pictures Entertainment, Premier League, Hellman & Friedman and a number of other tenants. He has also advised on the redevelopment and pre-let of premises at Middlesex House, 34-42 Cleveland Street to the architects, MAKE Limited.
- Acting for Hong Kong based investor Nan Fung Group and developer Endurance Land on the pre-lets within The Bailey (16 Old Bailey) in the City of London including 93,000 sq ft over eight floors to IPG Mediabrands. The building, which received planning permission for an extensive refurbishment and extension scheme in 2018, completed in early 2021.
- Acting for Pirrie Belfast Limited, an SPV held by our client Watkin Jones PLC, one of the UK’s leading developers and managers in the residential build-to-rent sector. The transaction facilitates a proposed build-to-rent and affordable housing development of significant scale at Plots 9, 11 and 11a, Titanic Quarter, Belfast, Northern Ireland. Titanic Quarter is one of Europe’s largest urban waterfront regeneration projects and comprises historic maritime landmarks, film studios, apartments, a riverside entertainment district and the world’s largest Titanic-themed attraction. The development value across the private, commercial and retail elements of the proposed scheme is circa £145m.
- Advising Watkin Jones PLC on the forward funding of a mixed-use scheme in Hove with a major UK pension fund, and separately on the forward sale of a BTR development in Leicester to an institutional asset manager.
- Advising Watkin Jones PLC on a portfolio sale of five PBSA schemes (totalling over 2,000 beds) to a PE fund which included three development schemes to be built out on a forward funding basis and two standing investment assets.
- Acting for The Office Group (TOG), who have agreed to take a 20-year lease of 68,600 sq. ft. office space at Meyer Bergman’s £300 million Borough Yards scheme on the site of the former Vinopolis wine bar. The development comprises a mixed-use scheme of over 197,000 sq ft, which takes in the Vinopolis venue and neighbouring sites in and around London Bridge’s Victorian railway arches. Ed also acted for TOG on the pre-let of floors 10-13 at 15 Water Street, Wood Wharf, London, E14, from the Canary Wharf Group with an annual rent of circa £2.5 million.
- Advising O&H Properties on the acquisition, disposal, development and letting of a number of properties within their UK portfolio. This has included the redevelopment of 161-162 New Bond Street, which is now Christian Dior's flagship store in London, and the redevelopment of the Podium Shopping Centre in Bath and the subsequent letting of the site to Waitrose Limited to create their new Waitrose At Home concept.
- Advising student accommodation provider Fusion Students on numerous transactions, including on its £1.5 billion joint venture with US investor, Cain International and on the circa £315 million sale of their 'Kinetic portfolio' comprising four purpose-built student accommodation assets. Most recently, Ed advised on their acquisition of a site in Brent Cross town – Fusion's first London development – which will be the location of a new £210 million student accommodation scheme.
- Acting for specialist PRS investor and operator Fizzy Living on various forward funding schemes including the circa £100 million forward funding and purchase of a 292 unit residential scheme at Silvertown Way in Canning Town. The entire scheme will be developed through a joint venture between Galliford Try and Thames Valley Housing and when complete, the 2.1 hectare Silvertown Way site will have a GDV in the region of £360 million and will deliver 1100 homes of mixed tenure across 11 blocks to include a hotel, gym, shops, offices and restaurants. We have also acted on the forward funding of two residential towers in Lewisham for £33.5 million which forms part of the larger Lewisham Gateway Scheme and which involves the complete redevelopment of Lewisham City Centre. Fizzy Living is one of the key operators and developers in the build-to-rent sector.
- Acting on various matters in connection with the development of the London 2012 Athletes Olympic Village and the sale of the 1,379 affordable homes for £268 million.
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Legal Director, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Managing Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Mishcon de Reya
Solicitor, Mishcon de Reya
Solicitor, Slaughter and May
Trainee, Slaughter and May
Nottingham Law School, LPC
University of Sheffield, LLB Law
Calday Grange Grammar School