There is a strong and growing desire in the investment community to use their funds in a way that does much more than deliver financial returns but also delivers social and environmental benefits. In other words, people understand that making money and having a positive impact in the world can, and should, go hand in hand.
Our mission is to help visionary investors achieve success across these various "bottom-lines".
We know that this requires investors to quickly navigate a number of complex challenges as this industry evolves at a pace and they grapple with how the traditional financial-focused investment model needs to be re-casted to incorporate impact related objectives.
Our lawyers are amongst the first to understand the importance of, and develop legal tools related to, maximising purpose alongside financial returns. As such, we help funds evolve their traditional investment processes to:
- navigate the new and evolving regulatory framework;
- create metrics to measure performance of purpose objectives (as well as financial objectives);
- create incentives for investment managers to meet purpose and financial objectives;
- diligence and select investments which meet purpose and financial objectives;
- manage portfolio company level risks around purpose and financial objectives;
- enable effective monitoring and promotion of purpose and financial objectives in portfolio companies; and
- develop remedies for breaches of purpose objectives (at fund and portfolio company level).