Join us for an online discussion on the Higher Education (Freedom of Speech) Bill, the Government's proposed legislation to strengthen freedom of speech in higher education institutions.
Together with a panel of experts, including our colleagues at Taylor Vinters, we will discuss key issues such as how the Bill would change the legal concept of academic freedom of speech, whether the proposals are fit for purpose and what the role of regulators, academic institutions and individuals should be.
- James Tooley, PhD, Vice Chancellor and Professor of educational entrepreneurship and of education policy at the University of Buckingham.
- Akua Reindorf, Barrister, Judge and Commissioner of the Equality and Human Rights Commission.
- Nina Freedman, President of the Union of Jewish Students.
- Naomi Waltham-Smith, PhD, Reader at the Centre for Interdisciplinary Studies, University of Warwick.
- James Murray, Senior Associate and Higher Education and Employment lawyer at Taylor Vinters. Expert in law surrounding Academic Freedom and Free Speech on Campus.
The event will be chaired by Robert Lewis, Partner and Head of the Education Group at Mishcon de Reya and closed by Professor Anthony Julius, Deputy Chairman, Mishcon de Reya and Chair in Law and the Arts, Faculty of Laws, UCL.