At Mishcon, we are well placed to understand the nexus between the corporate, business and personal taxation needs of our clients. We offer high-end strategic tax advice, including VAT, which protects our clients' interests. We are one of a small number of firms that offers a tax practice spanning both corporate and personal tax and one of a smaller number still – arguably the only – high end tax practice that incorporates litigation capabilities alongside non-contentious advice. This capability is unmatched by our competitors in both legal and accountancy firms.
The Tax Practice recognises the diversity of our client base, as well as their changing needs, as their personal and business concerns overlap in a highly scrutinised and regulated environment.
The senior team is supported by lawyers qualified in a variety of significant tax jurisdictions. Our work involves both UK and cross-border transactions, international tax planning and tax advisory practices. We cover all the tax issues that any individuals and businesses are likely to face; from start-up; VAT; financing; growth capital; bolt-ons and joint ventures; the realisation and return of value; to succession and wealth preservation.
Our clients are a mix of ultra-high and high net worth individuals, institutions, investors, property developers, entrepreneurs, local authorities and charities. We advise UK and international clients on both direct and indirect taxes especially stamp duty land tax and VAT.
- Interpretation of double taxation treaties
- M&A transactions
- Ownership and disposal of shares, securities and real estate
- Structuring tax efficient acquisitions and investments
- Use of reliefs for inheritance taxes and for remittance basis users
- Advising the beneficiary of a Will on how to thwart another beneficiary's attempts to gain more of the deceased's worldwide assets than had been agreed under a Deed of Variation of the Will in question. This involved applying a little-used provision within the Non-Contentious Probate Rules 1987 to secure an expedited Grant of Representation so that assets in the estate could be disposed of and distributed quickly.
- Advising an UHNW family in relation to their tax and all other private client affairs, including offshore trusts. This involved advising on the restructuring of their multi-national business interests to segregate their shareholdings in foreign business and real estate for tax and dynastic planning purposes.
- Advising a HNW individual in connection with purchase of a family owned business. The purchase was the final step in a succession plan to help secure the future operation of the family business.
- Advising a HNW individual relocating to the UK. We advised on all aspects including his residence and domicile status, pre-arrival tax planning, his ability to claim the remittance basis and tax exposure as a shareholder of various offshore companies.
- Providing ongoing support and advice to the family office of a multi-national ultra-high net worth family on their UK tax and structuring. The family are based across four jurisdictions (including the UK) with assets and businesses across eleven jurisdictions.
- Advising a UK resident non-UK domiciled individual on his UK tax and dynastic planning. In particular we have been advising on the creation of three separate tailor-made offshore trusts for different classes of beneficiaries.
- Advising a Chinese billionaire property developer on his UK tax and estate planning including how to structure the purchase and ownership of a very high value UK residential property.