Arguably, your reputation is your most valuable asset. Whether you are a business or an individual, whether you are very much in the public eye or prefer anonymity, outside scrutiny can bring significant risks. In this quickly changing world, digital technology allows publication of sensitive or damaging information to the world at large, often with little or no notice. As working practices become more flexible, more remote working means more vulnerable data, and the threat of reputational damage due to loss or theft of data is high.
Once sensitive information has been picked up by the media or spread online, an immediate response is vital to minimise its potential damage. But swift and robust management of the crisis is not enough. Ongoing management helps to proactively protect both personal and corporate reputations.
We advise on a number of sensitive issues related to private individuals and businesses including (but not limited to):
- Being contacted or harassed by the press;
- Being attacked in online forums or on social media;
- Being blackmailed with the threat of releasing private information or images;
- Being defamed in the press;
- Being questioned by NGOs or other bodies about overseas business affairs.
As litigators, we are both robust and resolute, but we do not take action as a first resort. In a crisis, we are calm and measured. We are able to navigate complex and special situations quickly, applying the intellectual rigour required to reach the most effective solution. Reasoned legal and commercial strategy, combined with an appreciation of the particular sensitivities of the individuals involved characterise our approach, as does our responsiveness and availability to our clients at all times.
But crisis management is by no means all we do. We understand that it is not enough. We also use our expertise and experience to help prevent unlawful damage and unwarranted attacks to reputations. Working closely with brand and communications experts as well as digital and business strategy consultants, we examine the big picture, starting with a full audit of our clients' current personal or corporate reputational situation. This proactive approach pays dividends which have proved quietly invaluable to many of our clients.
- Litigation involving defamation, privacy, reporting restrictions and all aspects of media law
- Obtaining, defending and discharging emergency injunctions
- Preventing and challenging publication of damaging stories or private information, in the media online or in a commercial context
- Pre-publication content clearance and advice to publishers at risk of publishing potentially contentious material.