The litigators in our Private department understand that it's not the size of the dispute that determines its importance in our clients' lives. Whatever the issue, we recognise that an individual may want to litigate in a different way and will have different concerns to a company making or defending the same claim.
At Mishcon de Reya, our heritage in private client work is at the heart of our firm. We have a deep understanding of the needs of our private clients and the dynamics and politics of families, family businesses and personal relationships. Consequently we are able to act as their trusted advisors, tailoring our advice to deliver results that fit each individual client and dispute.
Our team sits at the heart of the Private department which means that we are able to meet the needs our clients encounter in their wider personal and business lives such as reputation management, wealth planning and corporate and commercial advice.
We are tenacious litigators when required, whilst recognising that going to court is not the answer to every problem and we provide practical and inventive solutions, combining our legal expertise with commercial, real world advice.
Our team is part of the largest and most comprehensive Dispute Resolution offerings in London; over half of the firm's lawyers are litigators and our practice complements the work of our commercial, corporate, employment and family litigators, drawing on their expertise if needed.
- Acting on behalf of a successful family business in a partnership dispute involving trust issues and the interaction between foreign and English law, securing a substantial settlement.
- Successfully obtaining judgment for a multi-million pound oil and gas company in a 30 day Chancery Division fraud trial. The claims were made under Maltese law and concerned a €100 million fraud based on the alleged sale of Medium Term Notes.
- Achieving a highly favourable settlement in a dispute between the chairman of a Russian bank and a former minority shareholder. The complex claim, which involved Cypriot, Russian and English law elements, included claims for breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty, and was settled after 3 weeks of the listed 7 week trial.
- Acting for a Russian businessman in the defence of civil proceedings brought by a Russian Bank relating to alleged misconduct, including defending against a worldwide freezing injunction obtained by the Bank.
- Acting for an international mining company in relation to multiple cross jurisdictional disputes involving the expropriation of its assets, including advising in relation to arbitration and judicial review proceedings.
- Acting on behalf of two members of a partnership in relation to allegations that assets had been misappropriated. The claim involves consideration of complex partnership and company law issues, allegations of fraud, insolvency law, French law, and associated tax and family trust issues.
- Representing private individuals in a multi-jurisdictional shareholder dispute over a Cayman investment fund which involved the setting aside of a worldwide freezing order and proprietary injunction, in part on the basis that the claims were likely to be barred by the "no reflective loss" principle.
- Acting on behalf of the partners of an international private equity firm in defending a claim brought by a former partner regarding entitlement to carried interest in one of its funds following their departure.
- Acting on behalf of a Canadian financier in a successful claim for unjust enrichment against a former contestant on Dragon's Den.
- Acting on behalf of a client in relation to a breach of contract claim against a prominent US technology company, which was successfully mediated.
- Acting on behalf of a high profile businessman in a multi-million pound fraud claim against an auction house, achieving an extremely successful settlement before trial.
- Representing several defendants in High Court proceedings alleging a £110 million fraud following the failure of a legal financing fund.