Private clients’ needs have changed. Personal and business concerns overlap and individuals operate across multiple jurisdictions. They are responsible for managing the fortunes and reputations of their business, their families and themselves. These are not tasks that can be tackled alone.
Why are we different
At Mishcon de Reya, our heritage in private client work is at the heart of our firm. Historically, the private client focus has been on tax and estate planning, trust and succession disputes, and family. Mishcon Private brings together these areas while, at the same time, broadening the practice to include reputation protection, immigration, family office management, fraud defence, residential property and art. Our clients include wealthy individuals and families and range from the high profile to the very discreet. Whatever the subject, our role is the same: to fiercely guard our clients' interests, and that often means showing we care beyond the call of duty, making their problems our own, so that they can feel confident we will solve them quickly and professionally.
The team at Mishcon Private comprises litigators, media law experts, art, tax and immigration specialists, and is highly experienced at dealing with family disputes and complex multi-jurisdictional cases. The diversity and experience of our lawyers enables them to appreciate and adapt to the client and issue at hand, acting as advisors who can be trusted to offer wise counsel in troubled times and who will be there to help our clients navigate special situations.
We engender close personal relationships with our clients, placing a premium on trust and mutual respect. We provide practical and inventive solutions, combining our legal expertise with commercial, real world advice. If disputes cannot be avoided, we endeavour to resolve them with minimum fuss. Our tenacious litigators will act swiftly to enforce or defend our clients' rights without incurring unnecessary risk or expense.
At Mishcon de Reya our clients know that whatever the issue, however dramatic the implications and high the stakes, they can leave it with us.
- Acting on behalf of a successful family business in a partnership dispute involving trust issues and the interaction between foreign and English law, securing a substantial settlement.
- Representing private individuals in a multi-jurisdictional shareholder dispute over a Cayman investment fund which involved the setting aside of a worldwide freezing order and proprietary injunction, in part on the basis that the claims were likely to be barred by the "no reflective loss" principle.
- Advising on criminal and fraud aspects of art, including fakes, forgeries, money laundering and art theft.
- Advising on cultural heritage property claims, including spoliation and restitution.
- Advising on an urgent replacement passport for a high profile individual to enable same day travel.
- Securing investor visas for high net worth individuals.
- Advising an UHNW family in relation to their tax and all other private client affairs, including offshore trusts. This involved advising on the restructuring of their multi-national business interests to segregate their shareholdings in foreign business and real estate for tax and dynastic planning purposes.
- Advising a HNW individual relocating to the UK. We advised on all aspects including his residence and domicile status, pre-arrival tax planning, his ability to claim the remittance basis and tax exposure as a shareholder of various offshore companies.
- Advising a multi-national conglomerate on the protection and subsequent enhancement of their reputation, which had been unfairly targeted by an NGO.
- Challenging content published online and obtaining disclosure from international webhosts and email service providers, in order to identify anonymous / malicious publishers.