Our multi-disciplinary Sports Group comprises a dedicated team of contentious and non-contentious lawyers who are passionate about sport. The Group is supported by experts across the firm who have significant sports experience in areas such as immigration, employment, brand protection, reputation management, construction and tax. The team is international in make-up and outlook – we act for clients from around the world and are fluent in a number of foreign languages.
The sports work we do is varied. We advise in core areas, such as sports arbitration, disciplinary cases, governance and compliance, regulation, sports integrity and football transfers, as well as commercial matters affecting sporting individuals, companies and governing bodies. We act in a wide range of sports, including – but not limited to - athletics, boxing, cricket, cycling, darts, football, horseracing, motorsport, rugby, sailing, snooker and tennis.
Many of our clients are high profile sportspeople, managers, agents, owners, clubs and governing bodies. We work closely with our clients and take on the role of a trusted advisor.
- Child safeguarding and welfare
- Commercial arrangements and sponsorship
- Competition law
- Corporate transactions
- Governance and compliance
- IP and brand protection
- Negligence and sports injuries
- Reputation protection
- Sports integrity – anti-doping and match-fixing
- Sports litigation
- Advising International Federations on their disciplinary and governance structures.
- Working with Tottenham Hotspur on its day-to-day activities including licensing, merchandising, sponsorship, commercial deals, friendly matches, website development, social media strategy and implementation, brand and domain name management and stopping infringers.
- Representing China's Dalian Aerbin FC and Dalian Yifang FC in cases before FIFA's Dispute Resolution Committee, the Court of Arbitration for Sport, and the High Court of Hong Kong.
- Acting for Leyton Orient FC in its defence of a High Court claim for damages against a former employee, successfully relying on gross misconduct discovered after the employee was dismissed.
- Acting for the administrators of the Caterham Formula 1 team on all matters arising from the insolvency of the F1 team.
- Advising the Professional Darts Corporation on commercial and disciplinary matters.
- Advising on the €40m Bundesliga record transfer of Brazilian international, Roberto Firmino, from Hoffenheim to Liverpool FC.
- Acting for Sports Shield consortium on its takeover of the Bolton Wanderers Football Club.
- Representing governing bodies and athletes on the prosecution and defence of anti-doping rule violation charges.
- Acting for a Premier League football club on reputational issues relating to the building of a new stadium.