M&A lies at the heart of our Corporate practice and we have established a strong reputation for mid-market transactions. We work across a broad range of sectors, advising both public and private companies on matters including company sales and purchases; recommended takeovers; private equity transactions and restructurings.
Successful M&A work is an end-to-end operation: identifying opportunities, initiating negotiations and then guiding the client through the process to a successful transaction. It is about far more than just “doing the deal”. It is about forging a relationship in which we are advisors and partners, not just lawyers. The result: a better deal for everyone concerned.
There is a prominent international dimension to all of our work, stemming from the diverse nature of our client base and the broad interests and experience of our lawyers. International investors coming into the UK will find us uniquely qualified to guide them through the corporate process here, while our partners have the expertise to take the lead in multi-jurisdictional deals.
We bring a business first approach to our legal advice, using our M&A and sector expertise and our network of connections to get the best outcome for our clients. In doing so, we employ cutting edge technology and sound project management techniques to provide an efficient and seamless service. This enables our lawyers to concentrate on what is important – providing you with strategy, value and support throughout the transaction process.
We are also able to offer solutions that go beyond those traditionally offered by other law firms. For example, we can combine our legal and tech cyber security expertise to produce a Cyber Due Diligence report covering: the current macro-risks and potential threats to your business; the economic value at risk and how it ties to data and information assets; and the maturity of the organisation's current and future cyber capability. Any specific actions that would improve your security position are presented clearly, identifying the potential costs of change. Data is often one of the most important and valuable assets of an organisation. Our assurance services enable business leaders to have confidence in their cyber security capabilities, ensure compliance with data protection regulations and respond should the worse happen.
Our Mergers and Acquisitions Group works across a broad range of sectors, advising both public and private companies on:
- Purchases and sales of companies or their assets
- Recommended takeovers
- Private equity transactions, including buy-outs and buy-ins
- Transactions involving reorganisations and demergers
- Schemes of Arrangement Restructurings
- Advising Sompo Japan Nipponkoa Insurance Inc, a subsidiary of Sompo Holdings, on the sale of its specialist UK insurance subsidiary Sompo Canopius to private equity firm Centerbridge Partners for $952 million.
- Advising Staffing 360 Solutions, Inc., a company executing an international buy-and-build strategy through the acquisition of staffing organizations in the United States and in the United Kingdom, on a number of transactions including the most recent acquisition of CBS Butler Holdings and the acquisitions of The JM Group and Poolia UK Limited.
- Advising Therium UK Holdings Limited in connection with the £30m sale of Novitas Loans Limited, a divorce lending and law firm finance business, to Close Brothers Group Plc.
- Advising Hydra Industries Acquisition Corporation (now known as Inspired Entertainment Inc.) on the £200 million acquisition of London based Inspired Gaming Group and its affiliates from funds managed by Vitruvian Partners LLP and its co-investors.
- Advising Village Vet on its sale to the Linneaus Group - a veterinary trade portfolio group backed by Sovereign Capital.
- Advising Al-Mirqab Capital on the $1.5 billion takeover of Heritage Oil Plc., through our client's wholly owned subsidiary Energy Investments Global Ltd.
- Advising nGAGE Specialist Recruitment Limited on its acquisition of GCS Recruitment Specialists. The transaction took the form of a management buy-out from the founder of GCS Recruitment Specialists.
- Advising The Intertain Group Limited in relation to the acquisition of Jackpotjoy, Starspins and Botemania brands of the leading UK bingo and slot operator Gamesys Limited, for an initial consideration of c. £425.8m.
- Advising Cineworld on the acquisition of 5 cinemas from Empire and the sale to Empire of the Cineworld Haymarket cinema.
- Advising the shareholders of Hotcourses Limited on the sale of 100% of Hotcourses' shares to IDP Education Limited.
- Advising Allen Lane Limited and its shareholders on the sale of their interests in the consulting and managed services company, Allen Lane Consulting Limited ("ALC") to Outsourcing UK Limited.
- Advising the management of Direct Ferries, the world's largest online ferry ticket aggregator, on the buyout backed by LivingBridge.
- Advised Sports Shield consortium on its takeover of the Bolton Wanderers Football Club.
- Advised the sellers of Quotient Bioresearch Group Limited on its sale to Pharmaron.
- Advising Barclays Natural Resources and the management sellers on the secondary buyout of UK Power Reserve (Holdings) Limited by a company backed by Equistone Private Equity and Inflexion Private Equity
- Acting on the sale of The Walbrook Building corporate structure, one of the biggest single-property disposals in London in 2015, for £575m.
- Advising the joint venture between The Pears Group and LaSalle Investment Management on the sale of The Notting Hill Estate to Frogmore for £215m.
- Advising Frutarom Industries Ltd on the $70m acquisition of Taura Natural Ingredients Holdings Ltd.
- Acting for Victory Electronic Cigarettes Corporation on the acquisition of Ten Motives Limited for US$104 million and Must Have Limited (trading as 'VIP') for US$50 million.