Nick Payne is an Managing Associate, Professional Support Lawyer, in the Dispute Resolution department.
Nick has experience of complex, high value, High Court litigation and Arbitration in the following sectors: Banking and Finance, Commodities and Natural Resources and Maritime.
He also provides support across the Dispute Resolution team, with particular focus on the Finance and Banking, Competition and Insolvency groups.
- Acting for a major international bank in relation to the arrest of a ship in the English jurisdiction, and enforcement of the bank's security over it in the Admiralty Court following the acceleration of a loan.
- Acting for the liquidators of a European financial institution on various very high-value and contentious matters concerning the close out mechanism under the ISDA Master Agreement in High Court and Court of Appeal proceedings.
- Acting for a major international bank in a financial services dispute seeking restitution of sums paid for the novation of an ISDA Master Agreement interest rate swap transaction with an Italian municipality that was alleged to be void.
- Acting for a family office in a claim arising out of an aborted off market structured shares investment through offshore vehicles involving issues arising under a professional indemnity insurance policy.
- Acting for a mining contractor in multi-million dollar, ad hoc, Arbitration proceedings under the UNCITRAL Rules against its employer in relation to contracts to provide drilling services to a Tanzanian gold mine owned and operated by a large international mining group.
- Acting for an international commodities broker as the claimant in LME Arbitration proceedings relating to the non-delivery of copper concentrates under a frame agreement and subsequent enforcement proceedings before the English High Court.
- Advising a major French bank and lending syndicate in connection with insolvency issues relating to two loan facilities secured on the borrowing group’s Cyprus flagged fleet.
Associate, Professional Support Lawyer, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Senior Associate, Watson Farley & Williams LLP
Associate, Watson Farley & Williams LLP
Trainee Solicitor, Watson Farley & Williams LLP
University of York, History, BA Hons (First Class)
Articles and Publication