Michael is a Partner in the Dispute Resolution Department. He specialises in pursuing and defending complex commercial disputes with a particular focus on fraud and insolvency litigation, often with an international focus. He is experienced in all aspects of injunctive relief and asset recovery.
Michael acts for both corporations and individuals in a wide range of business sectors. He has experience acting both for and against financial institutions and insolvency practitioners. This experience gives him a unique insight into how best to protect his clients.
- Acting for leading asset based lender in a variety of cases including claims for fraud, breach of trust and conversion, and the enforcement of guarantees and other security.
- Acting for a major Irish Bank on its guarantee claim for £35million and its defence to a £230million counterclaim based on alleged breaches of loan facilities.
- Acting for the owner of a large property portfolio against the directors of its managing agent arising from the fraudulent misapplication of monies in breach of trust.
- Acting for Hong Kong trustees in bankruptcy of a prominent individual in their claims to assets and property held within this jurisdiction following a significant fraud including declarations of beneficial ownership where property was legally owned by a third party.
- Acting for a property developer in a claim for economic duress and breach of contract.
- Acting for guarantors defending claims made under guarantees provided to financial institutions.
- Acting for borrowers in disputes with lenders regarding their loan obligations.
- Acting for administrators / liquidators in respect of various asset realisation claims including preference claims, transactions at undervalue and claims for misfeasance.
- Defending claims made under guarantees provided to financial institutions, following the insolvency of the borrower.
- Acting for a major bank in a claim against a former customer for dishonest assistance and knowing receipt.
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Assistant, Mishcon de Reya
Qualified, Wilde & Partners