Our multi-disciplinary Luxury, Fashion and Retail Group combines the skills of our Brands practice with those of our Commercial, Competition, Corporate, Employment, Real Estate and Reputation Protection practices, collectively offering industry leading knowledge and an operational understanding of a retail or fashion business.
Our knowledge extends across the retail and the consumer goods and services sector from the high street to the world of luxury, and our clients range from the world's most famous brands, through to small independents, entrepreneurial start-ups and retail developers and operators.
Our aim is to help our clients to maximise the value of their assets – whether this is their brand, their property, their people or their reputation – as well as to ensure that those assets are protected. Whether you are an individual or a business acquiring a property, employing staff, developing a brand, protecting your business or negotiating with your suppliers, our fashion and retail lawyers can advise you.
We partner with British luxury trade organisation Walpole and the British Fashion Council on bespoke mentoring programmes aimed at helping emerging British luxury brands fulfil their potential. Brands we have mentored include Charlotte Olympia, Goat, House of Hackney, Lily & Lionel, Lucas Hugh, Rococo Chocolates, Zoe Jordan, Sophia Webster, Holly Fulton and Eudon Choi.
- Brand protection and exploitation
- Commercial contracts
- IT, e-commerce and data protection
- Regulatory advice and competition law issues
- Company structuring
- Raising finance
- Acquisitions and disposals
- Reputation protection
- Real estate
- Acting for Kering Group, which includes the Alexander McQueen, Gucci, Balenciaga and Bottega Veneta brands, on various IP and employment matters.
- Handling trade mark and/or design matters for luxury brands including Christian Louboutin, Diane von Furstenberg, Alice Temperley and Charlotte Olympia.
- Acting for Arcadia Group in various IP matters including defending a claim brought by Rihanna for alleged passing off and trade mark infringement.
- Advising Sainsbury's in its competition damages claim against MasterCard in relation to the overpayment of interchange fees which resulted in an award of £68m in damages. We also act for other retailers in similar litigation, including John Lewis/ Waitrose, Ocado, Whitbread Group (Costa), Lakeland, Ryman, Robert Dyas and Boux Avenue.
- Representing Tesco on the international expansion of its fashion and accessory brand into a number of territories across the world.
- Acting for Prada in real estate, IP, employment and dispute resolution matters, including the acquisition of Prada's Old Bond Street store and the fit-out of Miu Miu's New Bond Street store.
- Active management of Capco's retail and mixed-use portfolio in Covent Garden, including assisting in its tenant upgrade strategy aimed at establishing the area as a high quality retail destination.
- Advising Jack Wills on its successful claim against House of Fraser for trade mark infringement and passing off relating to its logo.
- Advising Victoria's Secret on the roll-out of its programme for store openings in the UK and on its European franchising arrangements. Also acting on IP matters including defending Thomas Pink's claim for alleged trade mark infringement and passing off in relation to use of 'PINK' on goods and as a store name.