James is an Associate in the Corporate department. He advises on a full range of corporate transactions including international mergers and acquisitions, equity fundraisings and shareholder arrangements, joint ventures, corporate re-organisations and general corporate advisory.
In 2015, James spent six months on secondment as sole legal counsel at Woodford Investment Management LLP where he advised on a large range of issues affecting the investment management business. Since completing his secondment, James continues to advise investors and companies on all stages of equity fundraisings.
As well as advising venture capital and private equity investors, James also acts for a number of entrepreneurs, assisting them with early stage fundraisings and other legal issues affecting start-up companies, most often in the technology and retail sectors.
- Acting for Woodford Investment Management on a number of significant investments in unquoted investments, including:
- Atom Bank, the British digital banking start-up
- Proton Partners, the company behind the UK first’s cancer treating proton beam centres
- CeQur, a company dedicated to helping people with type 2 diabetes manage their disease by developing and commercialising simple drug delivery devices.
- Advised New York-based Synechron Inc., the technology consulting and outsourcing provider for the financial services industry, on the acquisition of Crossbridge Services Limited, a specialist financial services consulting firm based in London
- Advised European managed services provider, Easynet, on its £402m acquisition by Interoute, the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and global cloud services platform
- Advised the founders of London property consultants, H2S0, on their sale to Colliers International, the global real estate company.
- Acting for Tiziana Life Sciences in the AIM reverse takeover to acquire Tiziana Pharma Limited, a developer of novel therapeutics for cancer including metastatic cancers.
- Acting for Victory Electronic Cigarettes Corporation on the acquisition of Ten Motives Limited for US$104 million
- Acting for Victory Electronic Cigarettes Corporation on the acquisition of Must Have Limited (trading as "VIP") for US$50 million
- Advising Arden Partners plc, the nomad and broker of Mirada plc, an AIM-listed software company, on two secondary fundraisings raising an aggregate of more than £5m
Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Solicitor, Pinsent Masons LLP
Trainee Solicitor, Pinsent Masons LLP
BPP Law School, London, LPC
BPP Law School, London, GDL
University of Birmingham, BA (Hons) Medieval & Modern History