Mehmet specialises in commercial litigation and civil fraud.
He has experience of advising both claimants and defendants in relation to foreign and domestic commercial frauds, on internal investigations and crisis management. He has successfully obtained and defended freezing and other interim orders for both individuals and companies. He is also experienced in obtaining Norwich Pharmacal Orders against third parties including financial institutions, internet service providers and email providers.
Mehmet has acted on cases involving breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of trust, dishonest assistance, knowing/unconscionable receipt, unlawful means conspiracy, unjust enrichment, deceit, undue influence and unconscionable bargain.
Mehmet is a Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE). He is also a member of the Commercial Fraud Lawyers Association and Young Fraud Lawyers Association. Mehmet is also fluent in Turkish.
- Acted for David Cardoza, the former chairman of Northampton Town Football Club, defending a claim for breach of fiduciary duty and entering a transaction defrauding creditors. Successfully defended the claimant's summary judgment application: Northampton Borough Council v Cardoza and others  EWHC 504 (Ch)
- Acted for a Swiss lawyer who was appointed the executor of an English Estate in defending a claim seeking his removal under section 50 of the Administration of Justice Act 1985 by the sole beneficiary of the estate. The matter included allegations of fraud and theft, and was part of a worldwide series of criminal and civil claims in various territories including the Cayman Islands, BVI, Delaware, Israel, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. Successfully applied for summary judgment on behalf of our client on his counterclaim - Perry v Neupert  EWHC 88 (Ch)
- Acted for an offshore services firm and obtained freezing injunctions and disclosure orders concerning the alleged misappropriation by a fiduciary of sums totalling over £17 million. Also obtained a passport delivery up order.
- Acted for a technology company that had been defrauded by an existing director and majority shareholder, obtaining a freezing injunction and prohibitory injunction without notice against the fraudster within four days of being instructed.
- Acted for a global bank defending a claim for over £75 million in respect of dishonest assistance and fraudulent trading arising from MTIC fraud in the supply chain of European Emissions Allowances.
- Acted for a well-known high-end retail company in relation to a procurement fraud, including obtaining a without notice freezing order against multiple employees and associated individuals.
- Acted for an individual on his appeal to the Court of Appeal in respect of a claim arising from alleged fraudulent misrepresentations:  EWCA Civ 67. Also successfully resisted an interim application for security for costs in the same matter:  EWCA Civ 1669.
- Acted on behalf of various listed construction companies in relation to internal investigations concerning suspected employee fraud.
- Acted for a claimant high net worth individual in a claim for over £6 million in relation to undue influence and unconscionable bargain.
- Acted for a global outsourcing company on an internal investigation of an international fraud. Successfully obtained Norwich Pharmacal Orders against numerous third parties in order to identify the ultimate fraudster.
Managing Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Pinsent Masons LLP
Solicitor, Pinsent Masons LLP
Trainee Solicitor, McGrigors LLP
BPP Law School, Legal Practice Course
City University, London, Law (LLB) (Hons)
Articles and Publications
- Shaping the Tort of Malicious Prosecution of Civil Claims (2018) N.L.J. 2018, 168(7776)
- Crisis management: how to respond to fraud in the offshore world (2015) Offshore Red 2015, 20(8)
- Fraudulent Directors and the Impact on Companies: Victims or Wrongdoers? (2015) (1 Tur. Com. L. Rev.) (June 2015)
- Countering Fraud (25 PAA 5, 52) (February 2014)
- The Government's Fight on Fraud (24 PAA 10, 110) (July 2013)