Guy is a Partner in the Finance and Banking Disputes Group.
Guy specialises in regulatory disputes, particularly involving financial and professional services and has been involved in some of the FCA and PRA's highest profile investigations against both individuals and institutions. He was formerly a member of the FCA's senior leadership team and had responsibility for developing enforcement strategy, especially in relation to financial crime and anti-money laundering where he chaired the cross-divisional working group. While at the FCA, Guy set up and ran an internal expert group for investigations against senior individuals and also chaired the FCA's insolvency expert group.
Guy also conducts and advises clients on internal investigations, including those involving directors and senior managers.
His regulatory experience involves a wide range of matters including anti-money laundering and anti-bribery controls, listings rule breaches, conflicts of interest, suitability of investment advice, treatment of customers, client asset rules, market misconduct, competition law and personal culpability of individuals.
Guy's court experience is extensive and includes civil litigation before the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court in cases involving regulatory disputes, fraud, asset tracing, insolvency and commercial disputes.
Legal 500 notes that Guy has "considerable experience of corporate financial crime particularly involving the financial services sector".
Guy is a member of the Law Society's Money Laundering Task Force, and is a regular media commentator on Financial Services Regulatory matters. Guy provides AML advice to all business sectors.
- Acting for the administrators of London Capital and Finance Plc
- Advising a general insurer, subject of an FCA investigation into the firm’s systems and controls for dealing with financial crime.
- Conducting an internal investigation on behalf of a London bank into alleged breaches of Money Laundering Regulations by a director.
- Defending an individual under investigation for alleged market manipulation.
- Conducting an internal investigation into alleged anti-competitive syndication practices within a bank.
- Assisting a bank in undertaking an internal investigation into alleged market abuse by a trader.
- Whilst at the FCA, leading many high profile FCA investigations into global financial services firms and their employees.
- Obtaining and defending freezing, search and disclosure applications both at the FCA and in private practice.
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Partner, Mayer Brown
Acting Head of Department, Financial Conduct Authority
Associate: Osborne Clarke
Associate: Allen & Overy