Gary is a Corporate Tax Partner in the Corporate department with over 35 years' experience advising clients on tax planning and transaction structuring, whether domestic or cross border.
He advises clients in a number of sectors, including corporate finance and M&A, real estate, outsourcing and financial services. He also works with both public sector organisations and their private sector counterparties in joint ventures, reconciling their different perspectives on tax planning and related reputational issues.
Apart from his wide-ranging experience of corporate tax structuring, Gary has significant experience of indirect taxes, particularly VAT and SDLT, and successfully managing and resolving tax litigation with HMRC. His previous participation in various tax working parties, including being a member of HMRC's GAAR Interim Advisory Panel, enables him to offer insights on the likely reaction of HMRC to tax advantaged structures.
- Advised the Olympic Delivery Association on tax issues related to the 2012 Olympic Games.
- Advised Banque Federative du Credit Mutuel on its acquisition of GE Equipment's Finance and Receivable Business in France and Germany.
- Successfully reduced by 90% HMRC's claim for VAT against a not for profit group in the social and educational sector.
- Advised a listed REIT on its £200m+ development joint venture with an overseas investor of a prime London site.
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Partner, Berwin Leighton Paisner LLP
Partner, Weil Gotshal & Manges
Partner, Barlow Lyde & Gilbert
Senior Manager/Partner, Price Waterhouse
Associate, Rowe & Maw
Trainee/Associate, McKenna & Co
Articles and Publications
Gary has written a number of articles for Tax Journal, including:
- Tax Simplification: what now for the OTS
- An end to tax confidentiality and other verities?
- HMRC and GSTS Pathology
- 2016 Budget Tax Reflections
Gary is also a member of British Tax Review's editorial team and has written numerous articles for the BTR.