Media and Entertainment is a fast paced, constantly evolving, global industry; affected not only by technological developments but also changes in lifestyle, attitude and cultural diversity. If you are part of this industry, you need to stay one step ahead. Being unprepared or unprotected exposes you and your business interests.
Our multi-disciplinary Media and Entertainment group is comprised of lawyers who have significant experience of dealing with businesses and individuals in the Media and Entertainment industry. We advise production, promotion, publishing and content owning companies, as well as celebrities, musicians, artists, designers and sports talent.
Why are we different
The nature of our clients in the Media and Entertainment industry drives the way we deliver our commercial contracts services: many operate at speed, internationally and at the cutting-edge of both business and technology.
We help our clients create, commercialise and protect their intellectual property, brand and reputation. We ensure that you are protected against a breach, but also prepared for one and can react immediately should one occur. We also have extensive experience in offering on-going brand management strategies and tactics.
We advise Media and Entertainment companies on a range of contracts, from significant acquisitions and commercial deals, to terms and conditions, sponsorship, agency and distribution agreements.
The firm has been central to the exposure of the phone hacking scandal, and continues to pursue a large number of hacking claims. We also regularly advise social media networks in relation to their procedures, policies and safety features, and advise corporates and individuals on the responsible use of social media.
Our services include specialist advice in the areas of Intellectual Property and Trade Marks, Licencing, Brand Protection, Commercial Arrangements, Dispute Resolution, Sports Law, Employment, Immigration, Family and Wealth Management.
- DHX Media, a leading independent creator, producer, distributor and licensor of children's entertainment content, on its acquisition of Ragdoll Worldwide Ltd and a group including Anne Wood, the creator of Teletubbies, from BBC Worldwide for £17.4 million.
- Conducting a detailed investigation into a prominent social media site which assessed all of the site's procedures, policies and safety features, and managed the implementation of the recommendations made. We also managed all associated PR activity.
- An international music corporation and publisher on the employment aspects of its multi-million pound acquisition of an international record label.
- Represented Premium Interest in relation to the registration of the 'Pinterest' trademark in Europe. A successful European Court decision means that Pinterest will be forbidden from using that name in Europe.
- Settled 18 civil claims as part of the phone hacking scandal, for breach of confidence, misuse of private information and harassment and a further 70 claims have been settled through the News International Compensation scheme.
- Advised a well-known football club across the whole range of their operations. This included partnerships, hospitality, ticketing, retail, international development, brand and IP, marketing, licensing, employment (including players/manager), reputation management and real estate.
- Worked with one of the largest social media networks in the world on a variety of IP matters including data protection, privacy issues and trade mark filing and prosecution.
- Acted for Matchroom on its draft rights acquisition agreement with BskyB for the production, broadcast and distribution of the Saturday Fight Night and Prizefighter series for 2014-16.
- Represented Missguided on its agreement with Nicole Sherzinger for Ms Sherzinger to design and launch her own line of clothing and on product/brand based endorsement.
- Advised the London Cabaret Club, on their novel club concept which marries sophisticated entertainment with fine dining, on their contractual arrangements for procuring well-known and high-profile pop artists to participate in their recent pop-up at One Mayfair.
- Worked with a multi-national production company on their contractual arrangements with football clubs.
- Advised a start-up sports magazine, on its celebrity endorsement and magazine distribution arrangements.