Samir Manek is an Associate in the Finance and Banking Disputes Group. His specialism is in the Firm's Financial Services Investigations and Enforcement practice.
Having worked both in private practice and at the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), he is well versed in defending and taking action against individuals and corporates in internal and regulatory investigations in the financial services space.
At the FCA from 2017 to 2020, Samir worked in the Enforcement and Supervision divisions. In Enforcement, he acted in regulatory investigations, contested authorisations and contested supervisory matters and took cases before decision makers. Samir was seconded to the position of Assistant Private Secretary to the Executive Director of Enforcement and Market Oversight and was a member of Enforcement's cyber-security working group. Whilst in Supervision, Samir supervised a global financial institution where he worked on, among others, enforcement, conduct risk and regulatory change issues.
Samir trained at Allen & Overy where his primary focus was on regulatory matters.
Samir is on the Advisory Board for a Government commissioned taskforce to boost the socio-economic diversity at senior levels in UK financial and professional services. Further, Samir is a guest lecturer for the University of Warwick on financial services regulation.
Whilst in private practice, worked on:
- Defending a senior individual at a global financial institution against the FCA's allegation that he was knowingly concerned in certain breaches. The case was discontinued.
- An internal investigation for a global financial institution into whether an employee was in breach of FCA rules and engaging in anti-competitive behaviour. Reports were made to the relevant regulators.
- Defending a senior individual against the Financial Reporting Council's allegations of improper behaviour. The case was discontinued.
Whilst at the FCA, worked on:
- Regulatory investigations including: complex market abuse, outsourcing, cyber-security and IT failings, wholesale conduct failings and money laundering issues. His experience includes taking cases before internal decision makers including the Regulatory Decisions Committee.
- Contested authorisations including: senior management function interviews and permission to carry on regulated activities. His experiences includes assessing applications, conducting interviews and presenting to internal decision makers including the Regulatory Transactions Committee.
- Contested supervisory matters including: corresponding with relevant parts of the FCA about areas of harm, corresponding with individuals and firms seen to be causing harm and drafting supervisory warning notices.
Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Financial Conduct Authority: Enforcement (Enforcement Legal and Assistant Private Secretary to the Executive Director of Enforcement and Market Oversight) and Supervision
Trainee Solicitor, Allen & Overy: London and Brussels
University of Utrecht, LLB
University of Warwick, LLB
Appointments and Publications
- Advisory Board Member: Government commissioned taskforce to boost the socio-economic diversity at senior levels in UK financial and professional services.
- Guest lecturer: University of Warwick, Financial Services Regulation: Enforcement.