Rob is a partner in the firm's Dispute Resolution department. He specialises in competition law damages claims.
Rob has represented clients in leading competition damages claims in the English High Court and the Competition Appeal Tribunal (CAT). He is ranked as a Leading Individual for Competition Litigation in Legal 500 2015 and Chambers & Partners 2016. He currently represents Sainsbury's in a competition damages claim in the English High Court in relation to the overpayment of interchange fees for acceptance of MasterCard payment cards. Rob also represents Microsoft in its cartel damages claims against Sony, Panasonic, LG Chem, Sanyo and Samsung SDI in the High Court. He has been involved in the achievement of international settlements worth more than $250 million, including in relation to the BA/Virgin international air passenger fuel surcharges cartel, industrial copper tubing and DRAM cartels. Rob is currently advising clients in relation to claims in the retail, transport and energy sectors.
Rob has considerable experience in helping clients transfer the financial and commercial risks of damages actions, often against key on-going suppliers/commercial partners. This includes acting on the basis of a success fee or contingency fee, often combined with extensive third party "After the Event" (ATE) insurance, against "loser pays" and disbursement costs, and/or third party litigation funding arrangements.
Rob has also advised businesses in making complaints to national competition regulators and DGComp of the European Commission. He also has extensive experience of defending businesses that have been subject to "dawn raids" and other investigations in relation to alleged cartel activities and abuses of market power.
In relation to commercial agreements and transactions, Rob has advised parties to EU and UK mergers and, as a Reporting Panel Member of the UK Competition Commission, investigated and ruled on several Second Phase UK mergers such as British Salt, Heinz/HP and Svitzer/Adsteam. He has advised on a wide range of commercial contracts.
Rob is a Council Member of the European Maritime Law Organisation and a member of the Steering Committee of the European Competition Litigation Forum. He is also a former Reporting Panel member of the UK Competition Commission.
- Representing Microsoft in relation to its stand-alone damages claim in the High Court in relation to losses suffered as a result of global price fixing of re-chargeable batteries
- Representing Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd in relation to its claim against MasterCard in the CAT that MasterCard has illegally fixed the default multilateral interchange fee between issuing and acquiring banks
- Representing Ocado Retail Ltd in its damages claims against MasterCard in the High Court
- Advising John Lewis plc on its claims against MasterCard and Visa
- Advising a major European electronics retailer on strategic dispute resolution options aimed at securing significant recovery of cartel damages without litigation
- Advising a major technology manufacturer in relation to assessing potential claims arising out global cartel investigations
- Advising in relation to Merson I-IV in the CAT and Court of Appeal
- Acting in relation to Toshiba Carrier in the High Court and Court of Appeal
- Advising in the case of Emerald Supplies v BA in the High Court at first instance
- Advising in relation to the BA/Virgin international air passenger fuel surcharges settlement
- Acting on the Marine Hose/Parker iTR global settlement
- Advising Oracle/Sun and Micron in the global DRAMs cartel
- Experience of group actions in the US (class actions and "Opt Out" actions), the High Court and the CAT
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Partner, Head of European Antitrust Recovery Practice, Crowell & Mooring (London Office)
Managing Partner, Cohen, Milstein, Hausfeld and Toll (London Office)
Competition Commission Reporting Panel Member
Partner, Head of UK Competition Law, DLA
Director, K Legal
Partner, Bond Pearce
Articled to senior associate – Clifford Chance, (London and Brussels offices)
LLM in International and Comparative Law, Magna Cum Laude, Vrije Universiteit, Brussels
BA in Jurisprudence, University of Oxford
Articles and Publications
- Competition Law Journal March 2013 –Opportunities and pitfalls of litigating cartel damages claims in different fora in the UK: the cases of Emerson IV, Toshiba Carrier and Bord Na Mona, with Jon Turner QC and Derek Spitz