Lara is a Managing Associate in the Fraud and Dispute Resolution department. She has extensive experience of litigating complex and high value, multi-jurisdictional commercial disputes on a wide range of issues both in the English High Court and in International Arbitration.
She acts for a range of clients, including FTSE 100 companies, high net worth individuals and consumer groups. Lara specialises in group and multi-party litigation and has a detailed knowledge of the complexities involved in bringing and defending such claims. She has a particular interest in consumer collective actions and is currently acting for Richard Lloyd in his ground breaking claim against Google LLC. Lara works closely with litigation funders and ATE insurers, and has a broad network of contacts in this area.
She also has experience of shareholder disputes and fraud litigation and has advised on civil injunctions, including worldwide freezing orders and receivership orders.
- Acting for Richard Lloyd in his representative action against Google LLC relating to data breaches arising from the "Safari Workaround"
- Acting for a group of minority shareholders in relation to their claim for unfair prejudice against the majority shareholders.
- Acting for ultra-high net worth individual Mukhtar Ablyazov against the approximately US$6bn claim brought by JSC BTA Bank. This groundbreaking case is one of the largest fraud claims to be heard by the English courts and has provided significant guidance in a number of key areas such as receivership orders, freezing orders, asset tracing and privilege.
- Advising a high net worth individual on preservation and repatriation of assets following a pension liberation scheme
- Acting for a high net worth individual on a worldwide freezing order arising out of his defence of long-running litigation before the Swiss and US courts.
- Acting for a divorcee on her defence of proceedings brought against her and her husband arising out of his alleged misappropriation of funds from an investment firm in Jersey.
- Acting for a Middle Eastern engineering firm in its dispute with an Algerian oil company in relation to performance bonds.
- Acting for a hedge fund on its dispute in the English and German courts with Porsche arising out of Porsche's failed takeover of Volkswagen.
- Acting for a printing company in an LCIA arbitration against News International
- Acting for the board of an offshore hedge fund in a LCIA arbitration in relation to a contractual and negligence claim against the fund’s administrator.
- Acting for an investment bank on a claim against a customer for payments made by the bank under a mistake of fact.
- Acting for two consortiums of oil companies on their disputes with the Republic of Kazakhstan and Nigeria relating to the operation of oil fields, including advising on strategic concerns.
Managing Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Managing Associate, Addleshaw Goddard LLP
Associate, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP
Nottingham University, BA Hons Law with French