Lara is a Managing Associate in the Fraud and Dispute Resolution department. She has extensive experience of litigating complex and high value, multi-jurisdictional commercial disputes on a wide range of issues both in the English High Court and in International Arbitration.
Lara specialises in fraud litigation and acts for a range of clients, from FTSE 100 companies to high net worth individuals.
She has experience of claims for dishonesty and deceit, and has advised extensively on civil injunctions, including worldwide freezing orders and receivership orders. Lara has a particular interest in disputes arising out of the CIS and has developed a network of contacts in these jurisdictions.
Lara also has experience acting in the retail sector and spent time on secondment to a leading national supermarket covering the role of head of litigation.
She is a member of the Fraud Women's Network, the London Solicitors Litigation Association and the Female Fraud Forum.
- Acting for ultra-high net worth individual Mukhtar Ablyazov against the approximately US$6bn claim brought by JSC BTA Bank. This groundbreaking case is one of the largest fraud claims to be heard by the English courts and has provided significant guidance in a number of key areas such as receivership orders, freezing orders, asset tracing and privilege.
- Advising a high net worth individual on preservation and repatriation of assets following a pension liberation scheme
- Acting for a high net worth individual on a worldwide freezing order arising out of his defence of long-running litigation before the Swiss and US courts.
- Acting for a divorcee on her defence of proceedings brought against her and her husband arising out of his alleged misappropriation of funds from an investment firm in Jersey.
- Acting for a Middle Eastern engineering firm in its dispute with an Algerian oil company in relation to performance bonds.
- Acting for a hedge fund on its dispute in the English and German courts with Porsche arising out of Porsche's failed takeover of Volkswagen.
- Acting for a printing company in an LCIA arbitration against News International
- Acting for the board of an offshore hedge fund in a LCIA arbitration in relation to a contractual and negligence claim against the fund’s administrator.
- Acting for an investment bank on a claim against a customer for payments made by the bank under a mistake of fact.
- Acting for two consortiums of oil companies on their disputes with the Republic of Kazakhstan and Nigeria relating to the operation of oil fields, including advising on strategic concerns.
Managing Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Managing Associate, Addleshaw Goddard LLP
Associate, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP
Nottingham University, BA Hons Law with French