Ed is a Managing Associate in the Dispute Resolution Department specialising in civil fraud and finance litigation. He is also part of the Sports Group and leads the Firm's anti-doping practice.
He acts act for both claimants and defendants across a wide range of disputes, with a particular emphasis on complex multi-jurisdictional disputes, claims in misrepresentation, financial frauds and cases involving the theft of confidential information. Ed is experienced in obtaining injunctive relief to assist the victims of fraud in securing assets and evidence, including freezing orders, search orders and disclosure orders.
Ed holds a physical sciences PhD from the University of Cambridge. Drawing on his laboratory analytical experience, he leads the Firm's sports anti-doping practice. It is a particular advantage to be able to analyse the scientific evidence such cases typically rely on. As a group we have particular experience of athlete defence work and pride ourselves on offering pragmatic advice, focused on our client's needs.
Ed has an active interest in the interface between legal solutions and emerging technology, for example in the response to cyber-fraud. He is experienced in using technology to improve the litigation process, including using technology assisted review to streamline large disclosure exercises.
- Acting for a foreign government depositor protection scheme in the English law claims emerging from one of the biggest international frauds uncovered during the "credit crunch".
- Advising a number of clients in the recruitment, financial services and sports sectors on claims against former employees and competitors for the theft of business sensitive confidential information, including customer data and financial information. Obtaining search orders to secure the return of this information and restraining injunctions to prevent any further misuse of it.
- Obtaining a freezing order to secure payment for a claimant who had been the victim of a £3,000,000 fraudulent loan scheme relating to his investment in a proposed container port development.
- Securing the release of freezing orders obtained against defendants in relation to a £50 million complex fraud in which they had been innocently caught up.
- Acting for a major international sports venue to protect its brand from harm by fraudulent celebrity sports events being advertised at the venue. Obtaining disclosure and search orders to identify the wrongdoers behind the fraud and secure overwhelming evidence leading to early settlement.
- Advising international clients on shareholder unfair prejudice proceedings concerning industrial assets and companies in five jurisdictions valued at US$500 million.
- Acting for clients in the financial services sector in relation to FSA regulatory issues, including acting for clients in relation to the FSA investigation into the setting of interbank interest rates.
- Acting for a London-listed IT company in bringing proceedings against its former professional advisers for breach of fiduciary duty, dishonest assistance and professional negligence in relation to the misappropriation of £7.5 million of company funds.
Managing Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Mishcon de Reya
Solicitor, Mishcon de Reya
Trainee Solicitor, Jones Day
BPP Law School London, Legal Practice Course
BPP Law School London, Graduate Diploma in Law
Cambridge University, PhD in Stable Isotope Geochemistry
Oxford University, MESc in Earth Sciences
Qualified Football Association Referee