Ed is a Managing Associate in the Dispute Resolution Department specialising in civil fraud, finance and group litigation. He has a particular interest in litigation technology and, with Richard Legge, oversees the firm's standalone e-discovery business, MDR Discover. He is also part of the Sports Group.
He acts for both claimants and defendants across a wide range of disputes, with a particular emphasis on complex multi-jurisdictional disputes and group or collective actions. Many of his cases involve investigating or responding to financial frauds and the theft of confidential information. He is experienced in internal investigations and obtaining injunctive relief to assist the victims of fraud in securing assets and evidence, including freezing orders, search orders and disclosure orders.
Ed has an active interest in the interface between legal solutions and emerging technology, for example using machine learning to streamline the litigation process and using artificial intelligence techniques to conduct early case assessment and to improve large disclosure exercises. He holds a physical sciences PhD from the University of Cambridge and drawing on his laboratory analytical experience, he leads the firm's anti-doping practice. He has particular experience of athlete defence work and offers pragmatic advice that focuses on our clients' needs.
- Acting for a foreign government depositor protection scheme in the English law claims emerging from one of the biggest international frauds uncovered during the "credit crunch".
- Advising a number of clients in the recruitment, financial services and sports sectors on claims against former employees and competitors for the theft of business sensitive confidential information, including customer data and financial information. Obtaining search orders to secure the return of this information and restraining injunctions to prevent any further misuse of it.
- Obtaining a freezing order to secure payment for a claimant who had been the victim of a £3,000,000 fraudulent loan scheme relating to his investment in a proposed container port development.
- Securing the release of freezing orders obtained against defendants in relation to a £50 million complex fraud in which they had been innocently caught up.
- Acting for a major international sports venue to protect its brand from harm by fraudulent celebrity sports events being advertised at the venue. Obtaining disclosure and search orders to identify the wrongdoers behind the fraud and secure overwhelming evidence leading to early settlement.
- Advising international clients on shareholder unfair prejudice proceedings concerning industrial assets and companies in five jurisdictions valued at US$500 million.
- Acting for clients in the financial services sector in relation to FSA regulatory issues, including acting for clients in relation to the FSA investigation into the setting of interbank interest rates.
- Acting for a London-listed IT company in bringing proceedings against its former professional advisers for breach of fiduciary duty, dishonest assistance and professional negligence in relation to the misappropriation of £7.5 million of company funds.
Managing Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Mishcon de Reya
Solicitor, Mishcon de Reya
Trainee Solicitor, Jones Day
BPP Law School London, Legal Practice Course
BPP Law School London, Graduate Diploma in Law
Cambridge University, PhD in Stable Isotope Geochemistry
Oxford University, MESc in Earth Sciences
Qualified Football Association Referee