Anne is an Managing Associate in the Commercial team and co-leads the Blockchain Group. She has experience in advising on emerging technologies such as blockchain, artificial intelligence and machine learning, data and privacy issues and a wide range of IT and commercial contracts including IP licences and assignments, franchising, agency, distribution agreements and sponsorship agreements. Her clients extend across a number of sectors, with a focus on technology, sport, media and retail.
Anne was recognised by Legal 500 2020, noting her as a 'Rising Star' for Commercial contracts. She is a member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals and holds a CIPP/E certification. Anne is a director of thinkBlocktank and founded and leads a sub-working group of Tech London Advocates Blockchain which focuses on Legal & Regulatory matters. This group is supported by the Law Society and is comprised of lawyers working together to come up with consistent definitions and standards to be adopted by lawyers in respect of blockchain technology and produce best practice guidelines for lawyers to follow when dealing with agreements partially or fully written in code. She has a diploma in Fintech from the Säid Business School, University of Oxford and was recognised as one of the most influential women in technology in Computer Weekly.
Anne enjoys working with entrepreneurial clients, particularly when assisting them with early stage fundraisings and the legal and commercial issues affecting start-up companies. Anne has mentored a number of early stage businesses through various incubator programmes, including MdR Lab. Anne is a legal mentor in the Walpole Brands of Tomorrow programme: a bespoke mentorship programme that helps aspiring British luxury brands fulfil their potential, and also regularly advises participants of M:Tech, Mishcon de Reya's legal mentoring and advice programme for early-stage tech companies
In addition to her emerging technologies work, Anne has appeared on the expert judging panel of a number of retail tech start-ups at Retail Week Live and has lectured at the London College of Fashion. In a previous role, she completed a secondment with Debenhams. She has also acted for a number of governing bodies, promoters, sponsor and players across sports on major broadcasting matters, image/digital rights agreements and sponsorship arrangements.
Anne has featured in the national press, commenting on key legal issues for game developers to consider in respect of their products and regularly writes for various journals including Computers & Law and the Interactive Entertainment Law Review.
- Advising a sports club on the prospects of terminating early its kit sponsorship agreement, renegotiating terms with an existing sponsor and on its new kit sponsorship
- Advising a global advertising agency on the licensing of Non-Fungible Tokens
- Drafting a platform agreement for a client using distributed ledger technology
- Designing an innovative proof-of-concept for a client, leveraging distributed ledger technology, artificial intelligence and machine learning, and focussed on identity management
- Advising a cosmetics company on a wide range of important commercial agreements and legal issues from logistics and supplier agreements to brand ambassador agreements and compliance with advertising codes - effectively acting as their UK GC for an extended period of time
- Drafting distribution and manufacturing agreements for multiple retail clients
- Assisting with multiple corporate transactions at the Firm in the retail, hotel & leisure and technology sectors
- Undertaking GDPR audits for technology and cosmetics clients and providing general GDPR advice
- Working for a number of fast-growth sports technology and esports clients on a range of contractual law issues
- Providing a number of the Firm's betting and gaming clients with advice on IT/IP and data licensing arrangements
- Assisting a fast growth Swedish SaaS provider with some of its most important commercial agreements
Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Simons Muirhead & Burton LLP
Trainee, Reed Smith LLP
University of Bristol, Classics
Articles and Publications
- UKJT, Online Dispute Resolution Rules (April 2021)
- Direct Marketing in the UK, Practical Law Company (April 2021)
- Incorporating e-commerce into your franchise system (Retail & Leisure International) May 2017
- Diving into the EC’s draft ePrivacy Regulation: steps for online gambling operators (Online Gambling Lawyer) March 2017