Stefania is a commercial litigator specialising in sports disputes. She advises on a broad range of commercial disputes and regulatory matters involving governing bodies, clubs and individual athletes, often in conjunction with their agents.
Stefania is a member of the HR, Legal & Compliance Subcommittee of England Boxing - the national governing body for Olympic and amateur boxing. She advises the board of directors on a wide range of issues, including disciplinary matters, safeguarding and policy and procedure creation.
Stefania has been ranked by Chambers and Partners as an 'Associate to Watch' in Sport in 2019, one of only two associates to be ranked in the country. Fluent in both Spanish and Italian, she is also a member of the Women's Sport Network, Women in Football and the British Association of Sport and Law (BASL).
Disputes before FIFA’s Dispute Resolution Chamber / Players’ Status Committee and CAS
- Acting for football clubs in Europe, South America and the Far East involved in contractual disputes before FIFA and CAS in relation to player transfers, remuneration and employment terms.
- Representing a Premier League football club in its appeal before CAS in relation to the loan and transfer of a player from a Serie A club, whose pre-existing injury rendered him unable to play.
- Representing a Kuwaiti club in a dispute with a former player in relation to the non-payment of wages.
Rule X and Rule K Arbitration
- Acting for a Premier League club in relation to a contractual dispute concerning the non-payment of a transfer related fee.
- Acting for a League 2 club against an agent who wrongfully received monies from the club for services he did not perform.
- Defending a Championship player alleged to have breached his exclusive representation contract and advising his agent who was facing allegations of inducing the breach.
Disciplinary and Regulatory matters
- Acting for the Governing Bodies of Tennis in the successful prosecution of charges brought against a number of tennis players for match fixing and failing to cooperate with an investigation.
- Acting for Kalkaba Malboum in proceedings before CAS in the successful defence of disciplinary charges, including infringing the autonomy of sport, brought by ANOCA.
- Acting for a Championship club charged with breaching the Financial Fair Play Regulations by the English Football League, including advising on possible sanctions.
- Advising the governing body of Olympic style boxing on their policies and procedures.
Fraud & Bribery Act claims in the High Court
- Acting for Leyton Orient Football Club in its successful defence against a wrongful dismissal claim brought by its former Director of Football.
- Acting for Cardiff City Football Club in a number of parallel claims against former employees and agents in relation to transfer impropriety.
- Acting for David Cardoza, the former chairman of Northampton Town Football Club, defending a claim for breach of fiduciary duty and entering a transaction defrauding creditors. Successfully defended the claimant's summary judgment application.
- Representing a Spanish La Liga club in respect of solidarity claims.
- Advising well known foreign footballers on reputation issues where Spanish or Italian is their first language.
Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Account Manager, Bloomberg LP
Research Analyst, Chartis (Formerly AIG), New York
King's College London, Hispanic Studies with English
BPP, Graduate Diploma in Law
College of Law, Legal Practice Course