Lewis is a commercial Partner in the Intellectual Property department and specialises in commercial and IP arrangements.
Lewis works with clients from a broad range of sectors to help them to generate income from their IP and to extend their international reach through franchising, distribution, agency and licensing arrangements.
He advises on the full range of commercial, IP and media agreements including: manufacturing; services; management; sponsorship; endorsement; terms and conditions; publishing; development; assignments; and other exploitation arrangements. He also advises on the use and exploitation of IP rights.
Lewis has strong sector experience in sport; fashion, luxury and retail; media and entertainment; food services and digital, as well as the specialist agreements in these sectors. For example, in sport, Lewis advises on major sponsorships; venue hires; hospitality; catering; ticketing; broadcasting; licensing; tour and friendly match arrangements. In retail, he has advised on high-profile major endorsement arrangements; international franchising; product distribution; retail websites; and app development. In media, Lewis has advised YouTubers; film and TV distributors; publishers; and authors.
He has been named as one of the Hot 100 Lawyers by The Lawyer magazine. His insight on legal issues has been sought by, amongst others, Sky News, The Evening Standard, Sport Business, Sky Sports News and The Guardian.
The Legal 500 recommends Lewis for Franchising, Commercial Contracts, Brand Management, Media & Entertainment and Sport. He is accredited for being "a very good negotiator" with a "pragmatic and practical approach" and "an incisive, commercial advisor" who is "creative with solutions".
Chambers & Partners has commented that Lewis “impresses clients, who consider him to be highly knowledgeable, efficient, thorough and also extremely personable."
Lewis is a mentor for the start ups taking part in MDR LAB.
• Working with a leading Premier League football club on its day-to-day activities including licensing, merchandising, sponsorship, commercial deals, friendly matches, website development, social media strategy and implementation, brand and domain name management and stopping infringers;
• Advising a household name UK restaurant chain on international franchising;
• Assisting a leading international clothing retailer with its international roll-out of stores including advice on structure and legal documents;
• Drafting and advising investors on a restaurant management agreement;
• Closely assisting a renowned education and training organisation with its brand licensing activities;
• Supporting a leading multi-national company on its sponsorship of 2 World Cups and 2 Confederations Cups and subsequently on its sponsorship of Euro 2012;
• Advising a sports club on the prospects of terminating early its kit sponsorship agreement, renegotiating terms with an existing sponsor and on its new kit sponsorship
• Advising an international security and crime prevention company on the safe distribution and testing of its products together with its arrangements for protecting its confidential information;
• Advising a major US consumer electronics retailer on selling secondary products in Europe.
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Partner, Field Fisher Waterhouse
Solicitor, Field Fisher Waterhouse
Solicitor, KLegal (now McGrigors)
Solicitor, H20 Law
Trainee, Davies Arnold Cooper
• Published in numerous publications including Sport Business and quoted in the national press. Lewis has chaired and presented at numerous conferences. Most recently on parallel imports into and within the EU to the Israeli LES and Sport And Digital Media; Maximizing Opportunities and Minimising Risks.
• Lewis co-authored the UK Chapter in Getting The Deal Through Licensing 2009, 2010 and 2011