Ian is a Managing Associate in the Finance and Banking Group with a particular focus on complex banking disputes. He has experience of major commercial and banking cases including those with a cross border element. He also works on more general commercial dispute resolution matters.
Ian is developing a particular specialism in acting for and against financial institutions on disputes arising from complex investment products.
He is a member of the Young Fraud Lawyers Association.
- Acting for a leading interdealer broker in a significant dispute with one of its competitors.
- Advising the private equity firm, TERRA FIRMA, in respect of its US$ multi-billion misrepresentation claim against Citigroup arising out of the takeover of EMI.
- Successfully represented STANDARD CHARTERED BANK in proceedings before the High Court and Court of Appeal in relation to a substantial demand guarantee dispute, which formed part of a US$130m contract for the supply of electricity in Bangladesh (Greenland Bank -v- AMEX  EWCH 421 (CH) and  EWCA Civ 14).
- Represented BAIN CAPITAL and the IDEAL STANDARD GROUP in declaratory proceedings relating to the powers of Majority Lenders, alleged events of default and the types of financial transaction that qualify as Equity Cures under a Senior Facilities Agreement. Bain Capital sponsored the acquisition of Ideal Standard for US$2 billion. (Strategic Value Master Fund Ltd v. Ideal Standard International Acquisition SARL & Ors  EWHC 171 (Ch)).
- Acting for the Bank of Ireland in securing victory in major fraud and breach of fiduciary duty claims against a former senior executive and borrower, involving asset freezing and search orders: Bank of Ireland v Jaffery and Anor  EWHC 1377.
- Advising the US Trustee of Bernie Madoff’s estate in a major claim against his London operating company, Madoff Securities International Limited, and its former directors.
- Acting for American Express in a number of complex debt recovery claims.
- Advising clients in respect of the mis-selling of financial products such as interest rate hedging products
- Advising on loan facility disputes concerning allegations of covenant breaches.
Managing Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Mishcon de Reya
Solicitor, Mishcon de Reya
Solicitor, Halliwells LLP
Trainee, Halliwells LLP
The University of Leeds, BA (Hons) Politics