Funke is Director of Operations for Dispute Resolution and contentious teams within Mishcon Private.
In this role, her main focus is to drive operational and strategic excellence to support the delivery of innovative legal solutions. In addition to this, Funke contributes to firm wide initiatives including technology and diversity and inclusion strategies.
Funke qualified as a corporate solicitor more than 18 years ago and worked in private practice for 12 years before moving in-house to join Roche, the world's largest biotech company.
She spent almost seven years in various roles at Roche including General Counsel (UK and Ireland) and Head of Financial Compliance. During this time, Funke and her team advised the Roche UK and Ireland pharmaceutical businesses on all aspects of legal and compliance risk. Alongside this, Funke gained extensive business, strategy and operational leadership experience as a member of the senior leadership team.
Funke devotes significant amounts of her spare time towards improving diversity within the solicitors' profession and wider business community and is a patron and board member of a number of organisations and charities.
She was awarded an MBE in 2017 for services to diversity in the legal profession and to young people.
- Leading on GDPR-readiness for a complex, matrix organisation with 2,000 employees
- Providing legal and operational leadership in relation to Brexit planning and horizon scanning for 2,000 employees
- Operational leadership of a business-critical market access project impacting thousands of UK patients
- Driving compliance agenda across 2,000 employees including ensuring audit-readiness and effective execution of CAPAs (corrective and preventative action)
- Utilising research-based methods to optimise data utilisation and tech capabilities
Operations Director, Mishcon de Reya LLP
General Counsel & Head of Financial Compliance, Roche
General Counsel & Company Secretary, Roche
Managing Counsel (UK & Ireland), Roche
Senior Solicitor, IBB Solicitors
Assistant Solicitor, Pictons Solicitors
Assistant Solicitor, Charles Russell Speechlys (legacy firm: Campbell Hooper)
Assistant Solicitor, Memery Crystal
Newcastle University, LLB Honours degree in Law
Nigerian Law School, Admission as barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of Nigeria
BPP Law School, Qualified Lawyers Transfer Test
Articles and Publications
Neuberger: I suspect I have been guilty of bullying, The Law Society Gazette, April 2018
Legal profession must break its glass ceiling, Financial Times, March 2018
Meet the women fighting gender bias in law, The Guardian, July 2017
Debrett's 500 List: Law, The Telegraph, January 2017