Deepa is an Associate in the International Arbitration Group.
Her practice focuses on public international law, investor-state and commercial arbitration. She has been involved in arbitrations under the ICSID, UNCITRAL, ICC and LCIA Rules, seated in both common and civil law jurisdictions. Her practice covers a wide range of industries such as mining, technology, energy and construction.
Previously, Deepa was an Assistant Legal Counsel at the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague. At the PCA, she worked on investor-state claims under bilateral investment treaties and inter-state disputes pursuant to Annex VII of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea.
Deepa is a mentor for the start ups taking part in MDR LAB.
- Acting for the Kingdom of Belgium in an ICSID arbitration against DP World in relation to the alleged expropriation of a port concession (ICSID Case No. ARB/17/21; BIT Belgium-UAE).
- Acting for RSM, a US oil and petroleum company, in ICSID annulment proceedings against the Republic of Saint Lucia in relation to the termination of an oil concession (ICSID Case No. ARB/12/10; seat New York; Saint Lucia applicable law).
- Acting for BSGR, an international mining company, in an ICSID arbitration against the Republic of Guinea (ICSID Case No. ARB/14/22; seat Paris; Guinea applicable law) and parallel LCIA proceedings against a Brazilian mining company.
- Acting for a Singaporean investor in an ad hoc arbitration against the Peoples' Republic of China in relation to the expropriation of land (seat to be determined; BIT Singapore-China).
- Acting for a multinational technology company, in two related ICC arbitrations regarding competition and antitrust law, against two major electronic companies.
- Represented a leading global automobile manufacturer in an ICC arbitration involving claims related to a share purchase agreement.
- Represented a Middle Eastern government in an LCIA arbitration regarding an international energy company’s obligation to develop oil fields and market petroleum
Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, WilmerHale, London
Assistant Legal Counsel (Full scholarship, PCA Educational Assistance Fund 2012), Permanent Court of Arbitration, The Hague
Pupillage, 10 Old Square
Internship, Group Intellectual Property, Adidas Group, Amsterdam
University of Leiden, Advanced LLM in European and International Business Law
BPP Law School, Bar Vocational Course
University of Buckingham, LLB Law with Economics, first class