Hugh is a Partner in the Innovation department and part of the Commercial, Technology, Data and Sport team. He is an experienced commercial technology lawyer, with specialist expertise in the commercialisation of intellectual property rights and IP strategy. Hugh works with clients of varying sizes: from start-ups / spinouts, through SMEs to multinationals.
Hugh works mainly with tech focussed businesses who have valuable IP assets to manage and commercialise. He has significant experience acting for clients specialising in clean and green tech, complex tech, engineering, retail, real estate and IT, providing practical advice in relation to their commercial contracts, including licensing, collaboration, R&D, SaaS, service supply and related contracts. He also advises on a range of other B2B and B2C contracts, including operations management agreements, terms of supply of goods and services, distribution and manufacturing agreements.
Hugh also co-manages our Mishcon GC service, which is designed for clients of all sizes who require uncomplicated access to legal support where have little no in-house legal function, or specialist legal support where the client's in-house legal team requires it for specific projects. The service provides clients with a flexible service to respond to their ad hoc legal needs.
- Interlinked contracts around the licensing of core patented technology and sourcing of bespoke equipment to service the manufacture of products for use by a multinational business in the food industry
- Negotiation of an international technology services and goods supply contract in the motor sports field
- An international technology transfer agreement and related product supply agreement in the clean tech space
- An equipment development and supply contract with associated technology licence with a major US business in the food and drinks industry
- Operations management agreements for management of innovation, lab and office space
- Development of template patent licensing and product supply agreements for early-stage businesses
- Patent licences granted by licensing Universities to spinouts and related founder IP assignments
- Conducting due diligence reviews on tech / IP contracts for corporate investment / M&A transactions
- Developing and negotiating e-commerce terms and new logistics, warehousing and supply agreements for an international OEM business
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Partner, Taylor Vinters LLP
Partner, Knights Plc
Partner, BrookStreet des Roches LLP
Founding Partner, Sipara
Associate, Dallas Brett
Trainee and Associate, Slaughter & May
University of Cambridge (St. Catharine's College), Law degree