Derval is a Partner in the Finance and Banking Group in the Dispute Resolution department. He specialises in complex finance and banking disputes and has experience of major commercial and banking cases in English and foreign courts and arbitration forums.
He has been involved in disputes involving rights in respect of loan notes, interest rate hedging products, SIV-lite structures, syndicated loans, sovereign debt and interbank money market debt.
Derval has considerable expertise in property acquisition finance disputes and has specialist knowledge of NAMA-related matters. He also has a particular focus on CIS/Russian disputes.
Legal 500 has commended Derval on giving "exceptional service" to clients.
Derval is a Solicitor Advocate.
- Acting for Spanish Public Company FCC SA in a dispute concerning rights and obligations under €450,000,000 unsecured convertible loan notes.
- Advising Russian bank, Promsvyazbank, in relation to the bankruptcy of Vladimir Kekhman.
- Advising OJSC URALSIB BANK in High Court proceedings involving rights attaching to US$100 million in loan participation notes.
- Acting for various borrowers involved in property acquisition finance disputes.
- Acting for the collateral advisor and collateral manager of a SIV-lite investment fund in respect of English law governed proceedings brought in New York by mezzanine capital note holders in the fund.
- Acting for a Cypriot company in respect of a breach by a counterparty of the terms of an ISDA-governed option agreement.
- Acting for a leading investment bank in Commercial Court proceedings regarding a debt arising out of a transaction on the interbank money market.
Partner, Mishcon de Reya
Solicitor, White & Case
Qualified, Solicitor, Herbert Smith
BCL Masters Degree, Oxford University
LLB (1st class honours), Trinity College Dublin