Charles is the China Desk Lead in the firm's Dispute Resolution department and also a member of our Sports Group. He advises Chinese companies, institutions and individuals on a broad range of disputes and transactions, from corruption or fraud related forensic investigations against senior managers through to investing into the UK. A native Mandarin speaker, Charles is also a qualified PRC lawyer (non-practicing). He is a key contact for our mainland Chinese clients, and has extensive connections across the Chinese business community within the UK and in China.
Charles joined Mishcon de Reya in February 2017 and has previously worked in Beijing, Singapore, Hong Kong and Dubai.
- Advising the headquarters of a Chinese conglomerate on forensic investigations against the senior management of its UK subsidiary and restructuring of its European business.
- Advising an Italian automobile group on the negotiation with its business partner in China and the restructuring of their joint venture.
- Acting for a sports association on negotiating a settlement agreement in relation to outstanding licence fee owed by a Chinese sports media company.
- Representing a Chinese businesswoman on communicating with the CPS in relation to a restraint order issued against her with respect to her UK bank account.
- Advising an American financial lessor on the repossession of an aircraft in China, following the Chinese lessee's failure to pay rent.
- Advising a German company on proceedings against a senior management of its Chinese subsidiary to secure important documents in China.
- Acting for Chinese HNWIs on purchasing prime residential properties and tax structuring in London.
- Advising lessors, lessees and banks on their financial leasing transactions in relation to aircraft and ships.
China Desk Lead, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Solicitor, Farrer & Co
Associate & Trainee Solicitor, Stephenson Harwood LLP