Intelligent and robust commercial agreements underpin well run and profitable businesses. In this competitive economic climate, having the right commercial agreements (such as terms and conditions, distribution contracts and agency contracts) in place is imperative. Good commercial agreements encourage performance and discourage disputes; if a dispute is inevitable then it is important for clients to feel confident that the agreement protects their position. The balance has to be struck between speed of turnaround and the necessity to balance the risk and the benefit of the matter at hand.
Why we are different
A lawyer’s role in delivering this is critical; we understand how important getting the deal done is to clients but we also understand how important it is to get it right.
The lawyers in our Commercial Group handle contentious and non-contentious work. This means that we are able to draw on commercial and litigation expertise when drafting contracts. We are very conscious of our clients' needs to weigh the risks of doing business with returns on their investments.
We make sure that we understand the nature of the commercial issues that face our clients. We understand that the needs of each client and the circumstances of each deal are never the same; each agreement needs to address the specific commercial challenges being faced.
Above all, we believe that the contracts which we create must be detailed enough to ensure they are secure, and pragmatic enough to ensure they are workable from a day-to-day business perspective.
The nature of many of our clients helps drive the way we deliver our commercial contracts services: many operate at high speed, internationally and at the cutting-edge of both business and technology. Our lawyers thrive on the challenges of meeting our clients' needs.
We advise on a range of commercial agreements, from tax-driven international commercial arrangements, complex multi-party collaboration and licensing agreements for pharma clients to the more common but nonetheless critical terms and conditions, online contracts, sponsorship, agency and distribution agreements. We have particular experience advising clients in the real estate sector. Key areas include:
- Financial Services
- Advised a global outsourcing operation on a whole host of commercial issues including consumer credit issues and arrangements relating to the outsourcing of credit report processing services;
- Advising United Phosphorous (Agroscience) in respect of its technology licence from AksoNobel to build a chemical plant in India;
- Acting for an incredibly fast growing online social networking business in respect of all their legal business needs;
- Advising an online gaming company from start up to date on all aspects of their business;
- Advising on the MaRussia Virgin Racing sponsorship agreement with Virgin; and acting on their behalf in their dispute with Full Tilt Poker;
- Advising Universal Engineering on their new product co-development and marketing agreements;
- Drafting a sponsorship agreement between Renault F1 and TW Steel. Key issues included collaboration provisions on co-branded merchandise;
- Drafting and advising on endorsement deals with Nike and Adidas for Premier League players and managers;
- Drafting collaboration agreements between Aquascutum Golf and Adam Scott, dealing with all aspects of the creation of Adam Scott’s range for Aquascutum and his ambassadorial role.