London has long been the centre for commercial and investment arbitration. It has also become the new home for many foreign, influential and high net worth business people; with many active in sectors such as oil, gas and other natural resources, where arbitration is often the preferred way of resolving disputes.
The relative ease with which arbitral awards can be enforced abroad, particularly when compared with High Court judgments, along with the confidential nature of arbitration proceedings have led to arbitration becoming an increasingly popular option for our clients.
Why we are different
We have cutting-edge experience, acting both as counsel and as arbitrators, involving all of the major arbitral institutions. We have conducted over a dozen investor-state arbitrations before the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). We have also conducted many commercial arbitrations, subject to a variety of governing substantive and procedural laws, before the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC), the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC), the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC) and many other institutions, as well as ad hoc arbitrations under the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules.
We work on matters for parties all over the world. We have particular expertise in disputes in Africa and Asia/South Asia, but also in other regions including Eastern Europe, Russia and the CIS, the Middle East and the Caribbean. By way of example, we have represented clients in arbitrations seated in London, Paris, New York, Stockholm, Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo, New Delhi, Jakarta, Nairobi, Dar Es Salaam, Johannesburg, and many other places, working with local counsel where appropriate.
Our work spans a range of sectors, including energy, mining, construction, finance, telecommunications, shipping, real estate and life sciences. Our lawyers are experienced in arbitration-related English High Court litigation and proceedings before other state courts, including injunction applications, investigatory and discovery efforts, and enforcement of arbitral awards.
- Acting for an African state controlled company in ICSID arbitration with the Hong Kong subsidiary of a major investment bank, arising from a power purchase agreement.
- Acting for an international mining company, in multi-billion dollar ICSID arbitration against an African state, including parallel LCIA proceedings against a Brazilian mining company, and related proceedings in New York against an Australian mining company.
- Acting for a US oil company in ICSID conciliation and arbitration proceedings against an African state in relation to gas pricing and the operation of gas fields.
- Acting for a US oil company in ICSID arbitration against a Caribbean state in relation to a deep-sea exploration and exploitation concession.
- Acting for an African state in ICSID arbitration commenced by a UK bank in relation to the alleged expropriation of a power plant.
- Acting for an African state owned entity in ICSID arbitration against an Asian investor in relation to loan facilities.
- Acting for a state owned African water and sanitation authority in ICSID arbitration against a UK water company over a failed water project in an African capital.
- Acting for an Indian party in LCIA India arbitration with a Qatari sovereign wealth fund in relation to investments in the Indian rice industry.
- Acting for a Syrian subcontractor in ICC arbitration against a Chinese state-owned entity in relation to the construction of a 2,400 MW power facility in Saudi Arabia.
- Acting for a real estate developer in ICC arbitration with a major US investment bank in relation to investments in Poland.
- Acting for a Ukrainian party in LCIA arbitration with a Georgian oligarch in relation to the sale and purchase of car dealerships in Russia.
- Acting for a Dutch bank in UNCITRAL arbitration against an Indian party, arising from joint venture agreements relating to a creation of an Indian retail bank.
- Acting for a Russian gas provider in ICC arbitration against a Slovak energy company arising from gas supply contract.
- Acting for an Azerbaijani entity in ICC proceedings against an Austrian contractor in relation to the construction of an office and hospitality complex in Baku.
- Acting for a Bulgarian company in LCIA arbitration against a Dutch commodities trading company, in a dispute relating to the production and supply of lead and zinc.