Sonia is a Partner in the Dispute Resolution department. She specialises in complex commercial disputes (litigation and arbitration), including breach of contract and tortious claims involving breaches of fiduciary duty, dishonesty, trust issues and shareholder disputes. She has particular expertise in dealing with insurance coverage disputes.
Sonia is regularly retained to act in international arbitrations, and is experienced in all major forms (LCIA, ICC, Bermuda Form, ad hoc). In the insurance sector, Sonia acts only for policyholders/insureds in insurance coverage disputes against their insurers. For this reason she also tends to be conflict free. Sonia usually represents corporate and high net worth clients, and advises across a broad range of sectors, including: pharmaceutical and life sciences; betting and gaming; retail and consumer; real estate and construction, and financial services. Within these sectors, Sonia deals with directors' and officers'; cyber; employment practices; fidelity / crime, fiduciary/PTL and professional indemnity liability issues. She also advises on a broad range of risk management issues.
Sonia is a member of AIRMIC, BILA and Arbitral Women.
Sonia is the firm's Head of BAME Diversity & Inclusion.
Chambers 2018: "advises corporate policyholders on a range of domestic and cross-border disputes. She has notable experience in product liability claims in the pharmaceutical sector, as well as Bermuda Form arbitrations. Sources describe her as "incredibly determined and proactive.""
- Representing a corporate trustee in connection with claims involving allegations of fraud/knowing receipt, breach of fiduciary duty/trust and misrepresentation
- Acting in connection with coverage issues concerning historic abuse allegations
- Advising a life science plc on a complex manufacturing-related PDBI claim
- Acting for William Hill on Prize Indemnity Insurance issues
- Acting for a UK listed bookmaker in relation to duty of care / addiction allegations
- Acting for plc pharmaceutical company on a US$100m Bermuda Form PL dispute
- Acting for a FTSE 100 company on employment practice liability claim issues
- Acting on D&O coverage issues for a plc
- Acting for a FTSE 100 company on a professional negligence dispute
- Acting for FTSE 100 company on D&O and ABAC related insurance issues
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Partner, Addleshaw Goddard LLP
Senior Loss Adjuster, ASL International
Kent at Canterbury, LLB Hons 2:1