Sam is a Managing Associate in the Intellectual Property department and a member of the Patents group. He is a Charted UK Patent Attorney and a European Patent Attorney specialising in the fields of electronics and software, as well as physical sciences and engineering.
Sam represents clients before the United Kingdom Intellectual Property Office (UKIPO), World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) and European Patent Office (EPO).
Sam is regulated by IPReg and is a member of CIPA and the EPI. Sam is also a member of the CIPA Computer Technology Committee (CTC).
- Advises clients regarding all aspects of their intellectual property portfolio and strategy. Several years of experience providing advice in the fields of electronic engineering, telecommunications, and computer software – in particular the fields of AI and machine learning. Significant experience with mechanical devices and medical devices.
- Offers expertise to businesses of all sizes to help them capture value from their innovations and leverage that value to further their more general business objectives. Working closely with clients to steer their IP strategy and to adapt the management of their IP portfolio to meet their ever-changing commercial landscape.
- Electronics - Digital signal processing, power, control systems, sensors, user input devices, consumer electronics, displays and optoelectronics, radio architecture, audio circuits, integrated circuits, and semiconductors
- Software - AI, machine learning, image processing, machine vision, cryptography and cybersecurity
- Telecommunications - Radio communications, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, ZigBee, 4G/5G cellular, radar
- Mechanical devices - Industrial equipment, household appliances, elevator systems, automotive, aerospace, manufacturing equipment
- Medical devices - wearable technology, diagnostic equipment, imaging devices, peripherals
- Patents - Drafting and prosecuting patent applications for inventions across a variety of technologies
- Designs - Drafting and prosecuting register design applications and advising regarding unregistered design rights
- IP strategy development - Establishing and refining strategies for clients of all sizes
- EPO Oppositions and Appeals - Sam has worked on many opposition cases before the EPO Opposition Division and Board of Appeal
- Freedom to Operate - Providing opinions relating to access to market and possible design-arounds
- Litigation - Providing opinions on infringement and validity of patents
- IP audits - Preparing IP audit reports, both under the UK IPO's IP Audit scheme and independent bespoke projects
- Due diligence - Providing expertise on either side of transactions as well as in relation to prospective litigation
Managing Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Taylor Vinters LLP
IP Consultant, Dehns
PGCert Intellectual Property Law, Brunel University
MEng Electronic Engineering with Computer Science, University College London